Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 01:31 PM

Default AK Hearts VS AA

Ok, i am very new to poker so please bear with me. I know that there is a certain format to posting hands but like i said please bear with me.

I am in late position (to the right of the button)
with AK [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
No raises just two calls the SB and early middle postion.
I raise to 3 BB
everyone else folds except the early middle postion who calls.
Flop come 3 small cards (2 being [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] )

middle postion bets 1 BB.
i go all in on my flush draw and he calls
i turn over AK suited, he turns over AA
turn comes a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
river comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Was i wrong to play this hadn this way?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: AK Hearts VS AA

Hands get the best responses in their matching forum (if this was a multi-table tournament hand, there's a multi table tourney forum).

NL hands should include stack sizes and blinds. You can use this webpage to convert internet poker hand histories.

That said, you had a fantastic hand on the flop, you're not a big dog (25% at worst) to -any- hand, and you're even a slight favorite against a hand as good as QQ. If you had him covered by a lot, or the pot was already larger than what you had left, this play was perfectly fine. It would probably only be bad if you both had healthy stacks much larger than the pot at that point.

Welcome to the forums [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Also, there is no need to post what he had, or even what the turn and river were. This keeps people from giving you results oriented advice.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:38 PM

thank you very much. for my next question....
where do i learn to figure out who the dog is and by what margin?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:11 PM

note on using the converter...when inputing, copy and paste the whole history from the part where the history gives the "starting hand #" all the way to the end final chip/money stats for each player. then use the convert button and copy paste output to the thead you started.

As far as who is the underdog goes IMO there is no way to think you are the underdog in this hand. This is why you don't slowplay aces. I think you played it correctly. Your table image and what you/they showdown goes a long way to making your decision on who is the underdog. Helps you put them on a range of starting hands and so on.

Welcome to the boards also
Old 05-30-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you very much. for my next question....
where do i learn to figure out who the dog is and by what margin?

[/ QUOTE ]

link
Old 05-30-2005, 06:00 PM

So, while i am reading small stakes hold 'em: winning with expert play, would it be okay to start a journal with the info that i am reading and digesting... then commenting how it is working out for me?
Old 05-30-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, while i am reading small stakes hold 'em: winning with expert play, would it be okay to start a journal with the info that i am reading and digesting... then commenting how it is working out for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "would it be okay". If taking notes helps you learn, then feel free to do that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Noting how certain plays are working for you (especially some SSHE stuff) might be misleading because it takes large samples of hands for variance to even out, and a lot of experience to determine (on the fly) when they're optimal.

BTW, You are reading a great, but wrong book if you're playing NL tourneys.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:33 PM

i actually play in limit games a majority of the time, but every once in a while i will play in a limit tourney or no limit tourney..... i have tourney poker for advanced palyers too.....
as for the notes in a thread i just wanted to make sure there was no issue with me maybe posting some passages form the small stakes book. I dont want to give any info away for free
Old 06-01-2005, 02:36 AM

I personally think you have to be in a particular exact situation to go all in on a draw. I don't like doing it. So IMHO I think it was a bad play. As another poster pointed out stack sizes reads etc realy help though.