Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Animal Based Diet - Very Unhealthy

I worked eleven hours with no lunch. I drove about 120 miles averaging less than 30MPH, loading a total of 5,600 lbs of boxes into my box truck, with busted air conditioning. At 7AM I pick up a 24 ounce Diet Rockstar, two muffins, a gallon of water and a pack of smokes.

When I get back to the office at 6PM, mentally and physically exhausted, and covered in dust, and NEED something to eat, you think that a garden salad with some sprouts and an avocado is going to do the trick?

Seriously dude, you're 19 and still in school. Please don't go around preaching to people about their lifestyles. It is very insulting. Try living in the real world for a little while first.

Your avatar could not fit this post better.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:12 AM

screw you Bruiser.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 AM

Blarg I've read about this idea of vegeterians needing to mix vegetables carefully to get the right sort of proteins but it sounds like pseudo-science to me. What do you base this on?

Americans eat 15-16% of their calories in protein, the recommended allownace is 10% (though some give it much higher), and the amount you actually need based on science to replace the protein you lose in your body is 6%. That's what Chinese eat, about 6% protein from mostly vegetables and they don't think much about mixing things up to get the right proteins. The obvious response of course is that their diet coincidentally coincides with the right mixing to get hte right proteins... but what is more likely, this, or all vegetables proteins are fine and this is idea of animal proteins being better and vegetables proteins needing to be mixed carefully is a myth?

One more thing, I found this VERY interesting. Different sorts of proteins were tested on rats to find out which ones were "better." Animal proteins made rats grow the fastest and ever since they have been referred to as the best kind of protein. They are not the best because they are healthiest, just because they induce fast growth.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 AM

stranger, where have i "preached" in this thread?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:34 AM

Eat me. I'm a tasty and robust source of protein.

Grilled, roasted, baked, fried, smoked, or broiled, it doesn't matter. And I go good with beer.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Grilled, roasted, baked, fried, smoked, or broiled, it doesn't matter. And I go good with beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you. So juicy and tasty, so many ways to prepare you..you are the perfect animal.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you. So juicy and tasty, so many ways to prepare you..you are the perfect animal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget his other nice qualities. Slow of foot, docile, and easy to slaughter. These are all qualities I appreciate!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:47 AM

cnfuzzd,

"First, your cigarette analogy doesnt apply. First, youve already agreed that most people have a decision calculus"
smokers have the same calculus to make, still don't see why the cigarette analogy doesn't work.

" there is no justifiable way to say that everyone should stop eating meat. "
i never said, nor never would presume to say this

"same scientific reductionism that the author of The China Study condemns."
i definitly agree with you on this point and what you said in your post and have no response.

" As for heart disease, it is almost certainly a working hypothesis that some ethnic groups are more susceptible to suffer from heart attacks '
i don't believe this, please cite some evidence

"The simple truth is, that most people would see tremendous health benefits"... etc.
yeah again i agree, i am just trying to make people aware of another option they have for helping their health.

"vegtables are usually grown in unfavorable conditions"
pesticides? you can get organically grown vegetables. besides that is a small negetive against vegetables. give me tainted vegetables instead of a burger anyday.

"which it clearly is, but instead that there are so many environment considerations to consider when discussing questions of health that, while diet is a significant factor, to attempt to live a healthy lifestyle while living anywhere near a metroplitan area is an excersize in futility"
this doesn't really respond to what i said. for some things like a car or no car, electricity or no electricty there is no easy alternative. with meat, you can eat vegetables instead. of course for some people this might not be true, but in general imo it is a fair point. if i'm missing your point again sorry, please clarify.

"I tend to suspect that almost all non-meat eaters have a huge superiority complex that they are waiting to take out of the closet and bash us carnivores about the head and shoulders with."
now that i think about it, two good friends of mine are vegeterian they are very humble and good people. another vegan i just met on AIM seems like a good person too.

"(incidentally, to suggest that the food production industry does more enviromental harm than, say, the utilities or automotive industry is kind of laughable.)"
i'm not saying that, there isn't a clear alternative though except for bikes maybe, or in the city public trasnportation.

"EVERYONE SHOULD STOP EATING MEAT is kind of silly"
okay i see that where i said 'just eat vegetables", that came out wrong i am not trying to tell people what to do here.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget his other nice qualities. Slow of foot, docile, and easy to slaughter. These are all qualities I appreciate!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also tip them over and make them go Mooo-oooooooo.