Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Stars vs. Party

[ QUOTE ]
So here is what I am getting from this thread....

1. You can get more games in at Party. The ability to play more games means the chance to make more money. Sounds straight up and simple.

2. Deeper stacks and slower blinds are better for the more skilled players. It allows for more chances in a game to outplay the other people on the table.

3. You should have a higher variance at Party, but you can play more games to help and try and smooth this out.

4. By playing the longer tournies it will make you a better all around poker player.

5. Party is more of a crapshoot than say Stars. (Is this better or worse for skilled patient player?)

6. Playing in a higher number of more high variance games is more profitable than playing less games with a lower variance factor.

Agree/disagree? What else can I add to this list? Anything else I am missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit the nail on the head more or less.

I perfer stars because it improves my MTT play (and even cash games to a degree). I hate Party Poker/Stars Turbo SNGs... But if your trying to build a roll, no one is arguing that Party is the place to be... But it's not for me.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:13 PM

I think the claim that anyone can beat them easily is a bit of an overstatement. Are the players at party bad? you bet they are, but dont assume that the good stars players are bettter or even will get better than the good party players. I think that playing the game can only get you so much better, without research and studying you cannot improve past a certain point. As is shown by the numerous fish that have money to spit out and play a lot.

Maybe I am just a greedy, but how can you not play poker for money? I have no fun at all when I am losing, how does one do that? What is the goal then after you become this better player? To play at higher limits, WSOP? im not sure but all of these revolve around $$$, its practically the definition of poker.

I can understand the short term fun of poker, but after a while its poker youve seen it all.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:04 AM

I play Stars $15+1 turbos. I find Stars to have far superior software/tourney formats, but unfortunately I'm moving up soon so will be going over to Party where there are more tourneys available.