Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Am I way too weak?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

Button ($189.17)
SB ($99.05)
BB ($69.95)
UTG ($255.18)
UTG+1 ($122.2)
MP1 ($136.08)
MP2 ($83.1)
Hero ($114.3)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $4, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($16) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $25</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $51

UTG is VPIP 25 / PFR 3.1 / PFA 2.5 through 193 hands

Often in this position, I will bring in my J10s for a raise to $5 and will end up picking up the blinds or getting a fold with a continuation bet. Just sort of impulsively decided to mix things up a bit here and call it.

Is there any debate about the flop? I think the call was fine... the guy before me is definitely drawing, and the flop bettor might have something like an overpair or top pair that he won't get away from with a raise.

I'm most concerned about the turn, obviously. My roommate, who makes far more BB/100 than me, says he would have likely pushed the turn to that reraise. His rationale was that a lot of people reraise like that with an A-high draw and such. But he plays at $200 and $500 Paradise tables, which I'd imagine are a bit more complex than PP $100. Anyways, feedback would be welcomed and appreciated here - thanks!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Am I way too weak?

Pretty weak tight, you got what you wanted and fold for $15 more?

If anything, you can push back and see what happens, instead of PUSHING ALL-IN.

When the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits on the river you look like a genius! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You could just call his raise and make a move on the river as well if a blank comes, might be much safer in case a crappy 4th spade shows up.

This is why you raise SOME pre-flop though, when you are going to play JTs, you have NO CLUE where people are at right now.

Not too stunned to see A-suited-rag though, now that you let him in cheap.

&gt;TW&lt;
Old 06-01-2005, 12:04 AM

i think u r playin a little too tight man no offense. u play a TJs and get what u want and fold. i like to raise this flop being that u have so many outs and position but, if your more comfortable calling thats ok too. on the turn i think u need to put your foot down and make sure that u r heads up at the river, u dont have to push but make them no u mean it. if u have 2 opponents at the river and the board pairs or a spade falls u have to fold to any bet. i think the best line is to raise the flop because it should make your turn and river play a lot simpler. on the turn u need to force the action and if they still want to raise the pot is theirs not because u r giving up but because they have u beat.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:09 AM

Without a read, I would bet more often then not you're beat.

Considering the turn, I would think most people would put you on a flush. I don't image too many people are going to reraise you if they think you have the flush.

I play at $50 tables so maybe they're not as tricky. But at my tables, I'm thinking you're beat.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:26 AM

How does Villain play this turn with 56 of hearts?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:54 AM

I think this flop is a great place to raise. You have 4 nut outs on the turn, and by raising you can buy yourself a free card, get more action on monsters later and push out any higher flush draw (hopefully). Not to mention it could disguise your hand when the draw hits.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 AM

if you are getting people to fold here consistently by raising preflop/continuation on the flop, i'd find it pretty hard to stop until someone played back at me ... but i think limping it was okay too. i'm probably raising that about 90% of the time on the button with limper(s) to me tho.

i dont like the flat call on the flop- i think you need to raise. you've got position and a great draw. i'd probably make it about ~$15 or so to go. many times this will be enough to pick up the pot right there- esp if you play your sets the same way ... and if you do get called you still have outs. the raise here might also force out bigger flush draws.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:51 AM

A lot of interesting replies. I got what I wanted, to an extent, but not exactly what I wanted. I definitely did not want a check-raise with my J-high flush.

I don't understand reraising on the turn but not going all-in. He raised $15, so if I minraise him it would make it $15 to call for a total bet of $40. That's ridiculous and tells me nothing. I think I'd need to make it $50 ot $60 to actually make him think about folding... at which point, I', 55% or 65% of my stack into this pot. I can't see folding to anything on the river at that point, and I'm not even sure I would check behind... I'd want to at least throw out a $15 bet and see if curiosity makes him call.

Someone also mentioned 65s. Interesting read, I tried to get him to tell me what he had afterwards and he claimed he turned the straight. I find it hard to believe a VPIP of 25 would reraise a straight on a flush board like that but who knows.

As for raising the flop, that's an interesting idea. The flop was pretty harmless in that I don't see anyone married to a top pair here, whereas they might be if they flopped their top pair King. I think I'd have a fair chance of taking it down on the flop. Problem is, what do I do then? If I hit my spade, I'm still kind of scared of a higher flush out there - I don't put it past any of these people to limp with QXs, KXs, or AXs.

I guess this is testament to the importance of raising with J10s preflop???
Old 06-01-2005, 08:26 AM

I raise the flop (got a gut shot, a flush draw and two overcards), and I get all-in if reraised back.

Given how you got there on the turn, I push. If he has a bigger flush - the thats just hard cheese for me.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this flop is a great place to raise. You have 4 nut outs on the turn, and by raising you can buy yourself a free card, get more action on monsters later and push out any higher flush draw (hopefully). Not to mention it could disguise your hand when the draw hits.

[/ QUOTE ]