Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Playing a set on the button

grapes,

BTF I'd call two bets cold with any baby pair here and with this sequence it isn't that close.

A preflop raiser and two cold callers mean you will probably be bet into on the flop and/or turn. So for two bets before the flop you figure to be getting plenty of action post flop when you flop a set since the pre flop better is likely to be betting through the other callers. Had it been limp, limp, raise BTF and now the action is on you you don't figure to make as much post flop (since the flop bet will often come from your immediate right) so I'd fold the smallest pairs for two bets cold.

Mason once posted a good rule of thumb regarding calling with baby pairs or any pair that likely needs to flop a set to win. You need to make on average ten times your pre flop investment since you are 7.5 to 1 against flopping a set and will win about 70% of the time when you flop it (and you generally win big). The position of the bettors and callers helps meet that criteria even though you need to call two bets cold.

I'd put in the raise on the flop despite the lack of draws. Weak hands take one more card off now and with three callers there is no guarentee the pre flop raiser will lead again on the turn.

Regards,

Rick