Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Preflop Question

This table in general has been pretty loose, and UTG+1 has limp reraised AKs from UTG (and proceeded to play a flopped broadway without raising once). It's been capped 5+ ways to the flop a couple times recently, and players have generally demonstrated a willingness to limp/re-raise, call two or more cold, and all sorts of other shenanigans.

In general UTG+1 is a loose player and raiser (29/16/1.4 over about 50 hands). BB is a buddy and the reason I sat down here, he is a loose passive, though he raises more preflop, call him LAP at 43/9/0.8 over 130 hands.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#3333CC">Hero does what and why?</font>
Old 05-31-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Preflop Question

I think it depends on whether or not UTG+1 is going to cap it. I'm fine getting in there for two more bets, but not three. These guys seem like they'll pay you off if you hit.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:20 AM

I Call. I like pocket pairs. You're in position on the preflop 3-better and may get to showdown for a minimal amount. You can get away from a lot of flops. I don't think folding is horrible here though. Usually with these types of hands postflop is far more interesting IMO...assuming you see a flop.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:56 AM

Fold because you do not have the odds.
Chance of hitting your set is 1:7.5.
The pot contains (incl your bet) 6,5 sb and you'd have to call 2 sb to complete. Since you do not close the betting it gets worse if the other guy decides to cap.

my 2 cents.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:00 AM

What about the times he has the best hand?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:13 AM

Calling/folding is a close decision. The tricky part comes when low cards/no paint flops and you have to figure out if your 77 is the best hand. I don't like dealing with that unless I'm heads-up or have solid reads.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about the times he has the best hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
This was my thinking. I figured I was likely to have the best hand and that I'd rather play headsup in position. So I capped it hoping to fold UTG+1 who I figured was raising loose but might fold if it was capped back to him. It didn't turn out that way, but here's the rest of the hand. When capping my thoughts were that if an ace or king doesn't fall my plan is to see a showdown unless faced with significant aggression, and if one does fall I'll try to run a cheap bluff and otherwise give up. If I hit then I'll play it fast.

Any thoughts on capping?

Should I have check/raised the flop after capping? I was hoping to bet/3-bet on at least one street.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB calls.

River: (10.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 12.66 BB
Old 05-31-2005, 06:28 PM

Well there's no way UTG+1 is gonna fold to calling two cold back to him when he's already got two in the pot. Therefore, I think your best option is calling, hoping they don't cap, and then proceeding based on the flop. A fold isn't terrible preflop, but I think you have enough implied odds from these juicy opponents that they'll pay you off.

Also, by how the hand played out I think you killed your action from the preflop limp reraise cap. I would have check raised the flop too.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When capping my thoughts were that if an ace or king doesn't fall my plan is to see a showdown unless faced with significant aggression, and if one does fall I'll try to run a cheap bluff and otherwise give up. If I hit then I'll play it fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the plan.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have check/raised the flop after capping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick with the plan. Nice hand.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:53 AM

Good point. I figure you're up against 2 overcards and maybe a pocket pair. The BB seems to want to go HU as well? Maybe capping isn't that bad after all, considering the implied odds you'll get. As long as you make the correct decisions post-flop it might be worth it after all. However, I think I'd have folded, luckily for Hero he didn't [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]