Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: AQo - Button, Why raise?

yeh i have this, Giving some suprising results. Good program, my 1.8ghz suffers with 3+players lol.

Cheers.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:00 PM

For anything more then 2 players I usually set it to 'Monte Carlo' rather then Enumerate.

Monte Carlo mode deals out random hands where Enumerate deals specific hands until it's gone through all the combinations. Unless you need a specific and technically accurate % Monte Carlo can usually get you 'close enough' if you let it deal a good minute's worth of hands.

Figured I'd mention it in case you haven't tried Monte Carlo.

T
Old 05-31-2005, 05:09 PM

on the button you still want to drive out the blinds with your raise at the very least. all the limpers are presumably weaker than you and there's an additional 0.75BB of dead money in the pot to pad your wins, plus a high percentage of extra money from the limpers who are already committed to the pot with garbage hands.

any hands which are above AQo would have presumably raised ahead of you, so you are not worried about domination with top pair. if someone hits a second pair with their rag kicker, it's because they managed to hit a 3-outer, and then you still have a 3-outer to come over the top. but most of the time, neither of you will hit your kicker, and you will drag the pot. AQo also has additional possibility of hitting a nut straight or even draw to a nut flush when 2-3 suited fall on the flop. and if you don't hit anything on the flop at all, it's easy to get away from AQo so you don't cut into your net wins when you do catch TPTK or a strong draw.

out of my last 32,000 hands I have been dealt AQo on the button 43 times, and raised preflop 86% of the time. W$SD 60%, net 1.28BB/hand. you don't expect to win with it EVERY time, just MOST of the time. that's how you make money in this game.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just take your time evaluating the flop and how your AQo fits into it and you'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is where the trouble is. Most people, starting out, are going to take AQo too far. Same with any overcard hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Folding AQo on the button with several limpers is a clear mistake imo. AQo might not be the best multiway hand in the world but it can sure beat a lot of the junk other people will play. I see no reason to even think about folding this. I would certainly take AQo over hands like 98s, in fact if I could get dealt AQo every time I was on the button, I'd be a very happy camper [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this sentiment, and it should be noted I'd never fold AQo on the button with any number of limpers to me, and i'd raise about 90% of the time. Furthermore I'd often three bet it if there was a raise and no cold-callers.

However, I still don't think it's a terrible mistake to fold it if you find yourself in positions where you are puzzled about how to play it. That doesn't mean you don't try to figure out how to play it, of course. Just don't think you have to play it just because it's a big ace.

Regards,

T
Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 PM

yeh i think i take Overcards to far, I also lose to Ragy 2pairs!

No on respects my raises as of lately, And missing flops is causing alot of problems at the moment.

I'll contine to preflop raise and fold if i miss unless the potodds/Odd to improve say otherwise.

Thanks.