Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 PM

Default How to set up a wireless network for new laptop

I'm getting a laptop in a few weeks and would like to know how do I set up a wireless network for it. It comes with a wireless card and I know I'm going to need to buy a wireless router. Can I just hook up the wireless router to my current router? Will the new wireless router have the ethernet hookups so I can still hook up my desktop and playstation to the internet. I dont know much about this wireless stuff....so what the best way to hook up a new laptop to my existing network? Thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: How to set up a wireless network for new laptop

anyone?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:09 PM

The wireless router replaces your current router. Just unplug the old one from all the wires, and plug them into the corresponding ports on the new one. That's pretty much it.

Unless you get a really ghetto router, it will still have about four ethernet cable ports on the back for desktop / playstation / fridge / whatever other appliance you have with net connectivity. It will also beam out magical internet waves to your laptop's wireless card.

Typically, routers come with easy to follow instruction manual letting you know how to do it. But basically, you can't mess this up easily.

Welcome to the wireless world, and please don't encrypt your connection so that you can play nice and share with the world.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:23 PM

A basic wireless network is easy. If your laptop already comes with the card, all you need is the Access Point (aka the wireless transmitter). Basically all you do is plug the transmitter into your cable modem or DSL modem, turn on your laptop, find the access point under my network places, and you're in business. I suggest the "g" level of Access Point instead of the older "a" or "b" version, as it only costs slightly more

Only one additional step of setting up encyption is required to make the network secure.

Here's a link that should give you more specific info on what to expect.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm

Disclaimer: I am not a computer guy, but since no one else replied here you have my .02 to get you a step or two further down the road.