Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: overpair on the flop

reraising him would be tough when he's all in. i don't think deep stacked players are aggressive with crappy hands. they tend to lose their stacks that way. also when you say he thought i was weak you have to think about what he puts me on, not just "weakness," there has to be a hand range... see my last post.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you people think i'm giving the average 2/4 NL player waaaay too much credit for thinking on multiple levels, or even, at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, yes. I don't think the average 2/4nlhe er thinks that much and puts you on AA/KK. I think he just tried to bluff because of the miniraise.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you people think i'm giving the average 2/4 NL player waaaay too much credit for thinking on multiple levels, or even, at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reraising him would be tough when he's all in. i don't think deep stacked players are aggressive with crappy hands. they tend to lose their stacks that way. also when you say he thought i was weak you have to think about what he puts me on, not just "weakness," there has to be a hand range... see my last post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for the average 2/4 nlher putting you on AK is a reasonable guess. Think about what villain is thinking: You raised 4 times the big blind preflop, and postflop when nothing pairs with AK, you miniraise because you can't get off AK. That would be a reasonable beginner-intermediate player read epecially for someone that doesnt know you.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 PM

The first thing i would put u on is AK.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:34 PM

Default RESULTS

for some reason i had a feeling he would push and then i chickened out and folded... now that i think about it, i think this min raise tactic may be ok as it may induce a bluff or lead him to believe his AQ is good (if you're planning on going to the felt in either event).

so he went all in, i folded, and he showed 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

and to think, i usually can't lay down a hand.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you say he thought i was weak you have to think about what he puts me on, not just "weakness

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don’t….I think that thinking is a problem…I don’t think your typical 2-4 opponent thinks that deeply.

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think deep stacked players are aggressive with crappy hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Many very good deep stack opponents are very aggressive with crappy hands and very strong hands. They are less aggressive with medium strength hands.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Many very good deep stack opponents are very aggressive with crappy hands and very strong hands. They are less aggressive with medium strength hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i sorta meant they're not gonna get that aggressive with QT though now looking at it, QT does have an inside straight draw. i just don't think any capable opponent calls preflop with a hand like QT, even suited... oop for 6BB's? come on.

i think i just have to plan on getting stacked sometimes with a set to my overpair, especially if they're good enough to lead the flop. still read dependent but maybe it's just usually right to call, especially givwen how big the pot was before the flop.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If i were in villain's shoes, the minraise would look like AK to me, and I would push turn with almost anything as long as an A or K did'nt show up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wanna say BINGO!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:43 PM

I think the lesson to be learned here is that you are definitely giving away something 8-tabling. I personally can’t do it and would become a losing player if I tried. Some people can do it and maintain a reasonable winrate (or at least they say they can). This hand would have been SO much easier with a read. It’s also why I prefer playing live to online