Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Moving to 3/6 (low content)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I understand where you're comming from, but it's not THAT bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with a horrible rake structure, I'm certain that playing 13-14% of your hands at $3/6 is pretty bad.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you will have to define "pretty bad".
Does it mean that the 3/6 games canīt be beaten by a player with a vpip of 14% or does it mean that he wonīt beat it for the maximum?

Most of the long term winning players in my 3/6 database have numbers in the range of vpip 13-16.

These stats may not be optimal but they do work for a lot of the 3/6 multitablers. Maybe they are aware that their postflop skills are somewhat lacking, or maybe they have found a formula that suits the tables they are playing.

i know that the new flavour is to be more laggish, mainly because many of the 2+2 "power posters" have reached a stage in their game where they are experimenting with more hands.
but for the rest of us, i think that tight is still right. Aiming for a higher percentage point just for the hell of it, without knowing how or why, canīt be good for either short- or long term winrate.

my 2 cents
Old 05-30-2005, 09:21 PM

Congrats on your success moving up. I'm wondering what your post flop play is like. More specifically do you bluff or not bluff, semi bluff often, pick your spots semi bluffing or only in postion, play back if you suspect someones putting a play,...
Old 05-31-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When the table is silly loose, you should be limping drawing hands. Went the table is mixed, stealing blinds, stealing buttons and isolating bad players.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm raising ~16% of my hands from button so I believe marginal limps is the bigger part of the hands I don't play. Raising to isolate and stealing button I do more often than I should.

[ QUOTE ]
You can also 3-bet thinking TAggs who raise pre-flop aggressivly with a pretty wide range.

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems to me this use to cost me money, but maybe I'm wrong. Doing this without a really strong read is not good however.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you will have to define "pretty bad".
Does it mean that the 3/6 games canīt be beaten by a player with a vpip of 14% or does it mean that he wonīt beat it for the maximum?

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no problem being a winninng player around 2 BB/100 with Vpip 14%. You can probably win more than that. Of course it's not good poker giving up these marginal limps, but they don't do THAT much for your winrate.

And as you say, until you've got comfortable playing them you're probably best of not playing most of them. That's why my Vpip seems to get very low when I move up in limit. I don't feel comfortable with the higher limits and the opponents which I fisrt believe is too good. My stats will probably be vpip 16.5% pfr 11.5% in just a couple of weeks and I believe that's around where I want to be.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on your success moving up. I'm wondering what your post flop play is like. More specifically do you bluff or not bluff, semi bluff often, pick your spots semi bluffing or only in postion, play back if you suspect someones putting a play,...

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually don't bluff unless I've been the aggressor in the hand, and those bluffs can most often be considered semibluffs I guess since I usually hold 2 overs or 1 over and a gut-shot. Can't say I bluff or semi-bluff multiway often at all, IMO you need good reads. HU I both semi-bluff and bluff pretty frequently.

Sometimes it's very obvious someone is starting to play back against me with nothing (he might have gotten frustrated because of my aggression). When I seen that happen a couple of times I play back to get him to calm down. If I'm starting get 3-betted preflop a lot by a certain player then playing back at him by calling preflop and check/raise the flop might be good. But be carefull, it might cost ya if you're wrong.