Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Odd play in a big pot, funny reaction

I'm no high stakes player, but your misapplication of concepts and even terms shows me that you definitely are not either, unless you're a rich fish. Passivity would have nothing to do with players staying in the pot. Now I told you a great line to use before but here's my response about the hand itself. You got extremely lucky. Would I have said anything to you if I was BB? Maybe the obligitory sarcastic NH which you would have thought was serious and got pumped up about, skyrocketing your confidence enough to stick around and dump that pot plus more.

Good luck dude,
Matt

P.S. Easy fold preflop, even if it's .5-1
Old 05-30-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Odd play in a big pot, funny reaction

[ QUOTE ]

Now keep in mind that I'm pretty proud of myself because I used some fairly sophisticated moves that paid off. Also note that this guy went a little overboard with his middle pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy sh.it....
Old 05-30-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Here is what I\'ve learned

1. If I get there, bet the river. If I'm feeling exceptionally frisky, check-raise the river.

2. Nobody else can believe in a magical game in which it was right to play A9o preflop like this. But *if* there is ever a game to play it, it was this one. At least the A9 call was much less horrible than usual. The fact that the 2 limpers and the button both folded the flop in a monster pot supports this idea somewhat.

3. I haven't yet seen a compelling case against the flop bet, which was really the play that I liked in this hand. The huge pot makes weird things more reasonable. If I'm convinced there's a good chance the BB raises and the limpers will fold, I think this this bet is +EV (I'm no worse than 4-1 to win by the river against KK-99 or AK, and with 15SBs in the pot already, plus 4 more on the flop and turn from the BB, the pot is laying me almost 5-1 on the 2big bets I put in before the river. Right?). Someone pointed out that if the button has something like AJ, this play loses lots of value, which makes sense to me, especially if he calls 2 bets on the flop with AJ, but I didn't think he would in this game. So, say I knew 100% that the BB would raise and the other 3 would fold - is it then a good play? If so, what about 90%? 80% etc...

4. I shouldn't take an attempt at an amusing poker story I wrote up for a blog and use it as my first 2+2 post. Much different audience, my apologies. Next time I'll stick to just the hand in a serious forum, or just the story in a lighter forum.

5. Lots of people here feel the pain of the BB, and for them this story seemed to touch a nerve. My only issue with him was his preaching at the table. I think his preflop 3bet was questionable, but not bad. Same with his river bet.