Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: In Response To sthief\'s Shot At Strassa...

And that's how it's done boys and girls. If that is a reflection of your true character then you have most people beat.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:56 AM

Great post. I actually couldn't believe that people were seriously laying into JS for somehow revealing our secert society and opening the flood gates to hoards of eager new players who wold learn the game in a week and steal all our money.

Secondly exaclty how hard is it to find this forum? I must have got here within a month of playing. Maybe I missed the initation precedure where I had to answer poker questions to prove I was worthy but it just seemed to me like I signed up like any other forum. Any player who will become half decent will find tihs forum, most won't bother and they'll bring money to the game.

Any and every poker article even if its one which teaches new players how to play perfectly is an asset to the strong play. For every person who reads it 10 skim it. That siply leads to more misapplied concepts and table coaching. Oh yes, and more free money.

Firstly why are you so afraid of competition? I can sort of understand Doyle saying that in some ways he regretted publishing SS because he earnt that knowlage through thousands of hours hard play. However the vast majority of 2+2ers learnt through books, forums and online play, we have no right to expect these things to be denied to new plyers. We are not special and unique simply because we post on 2+2, we are just a collection of above average players sharing ideas.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:11 AM

"And that's how it's done boys and girls. If that is a reflection of your true character then you have most people beat."

Somehow those of us who do things that we later must apologize for or retract get more character credit than those who don't do this stuff in the first place.

-Michael
Old 05-30-2005, 07:28 AM

What's he got? Nine-seven?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:06 AM

disclaimer:
I have not read the SI article yet nor the original thread on Strassa.

[ QUOTE ]

People who come to the forums and think they're good after lurking for a while are much more likely to keep playing losing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true...as is the original contention in this thread that most players on 2+2 aren't super-great players to begin with.

If you have been playing for a year or so and had NOT found out about 2+2 somehow then you are clearly not interested in getting better in the first place imo.

I started playing poker in Feb, 2003.
I couldn't even remember if a full-house beat a flush or vice-versa and had no idea who Brunson, Hellmuth or Sklansky were.

I was interested in learning about the game though and did a google search for 'poker strategy articles'.
I landed on Steve Badger's site at first. And also found 2+2.

It's not THAT big a secret.
I still don't think it's a great idea to blab about 2+2 at the tables (either live or online) but I also think I could go to Tunica right now and move around to 8 different tables today and tell everyone, "You know...if you are really serious about learning how to play good, solid poker. I mean Tight and Aggressive. You'll go to 2+2.com and will stay there." If I did this I bet very few people would actually check it out. Those that do check it out would mostly get bored and leave.
Most people already think they are playing winning poker.

It actually takes effort to become a winning poker player. Just showing up here won't do it for you.
If you are interested in putting forth that effort you will find this place regardless imo.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:25 AM

The point is that the article could have been good, and brought a lot of poor players to the game without talking about 2+2. It may or may not have hurt much, but I don't think
mentioning 2+2 helped anything.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:07 PM

I wouldn't worry about anyone thinking less of you because of this (I certainly don't). You were pissed, made a post, thought about it some more, and amended your comments. Not a big deal... I agree that no further apology is necessary.

Actually, I have a higher opinion of him, because he looked at the response to his post, amended his opinion, and took time to write out a well thought out explanation and apology.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"And that's how it's done boys and girls. If that is a reflection of your true character then you have most people beat."

Somehow those of us who do things that we later must apologize for or retract get more character credit than those who don't do this stuff in the first place.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. You only get a few chances then the apologies become hollow. Take Phil Helmuth as an example, he apologizes for his antics again and again, yet I don't see people complimenting his character.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's he got? Nine-seven?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL
Old 05-30-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this would have been a lot better if it was in the same thread.

also, sthief has a hot girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just proved point 5 for ML4L.

[ QUOTE ]
5) Along another line, why do you get to be so privileged to be a 2+2er, but others don't? Should we have shut the gates as soon as you registered? Your attitude is immature and selfish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawrence