Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Pump the draw or smooth call

CO here has been really TAG. I know the call pre-flop was really really iffy but my real question is with a nut flush draw like this on the flop should I be raise/reraising knowing I have a great draw or should I be smooth calling trying to induce others to stay in the pot knowing I'm drawing to nuts.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (12.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
Old 05-30-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Pump the draw or smooth call

I wouldn't probably have 3-betted that flop. If you were drawing to an overpair + flush, then the 3 bet would be acceptable IMO.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:05 AM

There is a difference between iffy and bad, this call is bad.

I don't three-bet the flop because I want to keep people around.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:20 AM

I like checking this flop rather than betting it. Its not gonna get checked through and I think you'll be able to make a better decision on how to capitalize on your equity. Also, if checked to CO and he bets and you call, people in middle will call more often than if you bet and the CO is left to act behind them. As for when CO raises your flop bet, you should call unless the guys in the middle are total bozos who will all call 2 more.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:21 AM

You have cost yourself money on the flop by knocking out three other players who would have otherwise donated one small bet to the pot in order to get one more small bet from the raiser. In addition, you also negate any big bets you would have received on future streets from these people. This is BAD. Just call the flop, then bet out on the turn when you make your hand hoping all will call and that CO will raise again.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:08 AM

it's your lack of position that changes everything. it makes it difficult for you to get your value from the field. facing them with two cold will fold them and you end up only get action from the CO. to raise for value you need two or more callers to your bets. you don't have outs to clear up, so eliminating people doesn't change your equity by much.