Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Lee Jones WLLH vs. Small Stakes Holdem

<font color="green">Whats the differences between them?
Which one is preferred?

I have ordered SSH, any big reason I need to also get WLLH? </font>

thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Lee Jones WLLH vs. Small Stakes Holdem

I have no idea where you are at as far as your poker career. WLLH is a beginneer book. I used it to get started and I liked it but there are some bits of bad and incorrect advice in there. Overall, it's okay. It used to be IMO the best beginner book out there. However if you are just getting started I would advise you to read Getting Started In Hold'em. A far superior book about limit HE (&amp; it has some no limit goodies) if you ask me. After reading and understanding the concepts there you should be able to tackle SSHE.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:18 PM

Hello, I'm another relative newbie such as yourself. Also like yourself, I bought both WLLHE and SSHE when I decided I'd start taking poker seriously. However, I can look on a chart of my progress and literally make out the day I stopped reading WLLHE and took SSHE to heart by pointing to the graph's sharp upturn.

The most common complaint about WLLHE is that it teaches a generally weak-tight style of play. This might keep you from losing but it will also keep you from winning. SSHE teaches aggression, and I found my fortunes change as soon as I dumped WLLHE.

However, SSHE isn't a beginner's book, as Miller points out in the introduction. After a while I found myself a bit lost, as much of it pertains to general style and not more specific things like how to handle the turn if a scare card comes, etc. GSHE is okay, but keep in mind most of it is geared towards NL, with the limit section centering around nine hands that quickly go over some of the basics.

I'm reading Internet Texas Hold'em by Matthew Hilger now, and it's giving me the specifics I really wanted out of a beginner's book. I think it's a bit weaker than SSHE, and it's laid out a bit odd to me (wouldn't you want to know how to correctly play the flop with a specific type of hand before being concerned about bluffing?), and its quizzes are just killing me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but again it drives home more specific concepts like dealing with a three-flush board and such that really help out a beginner like me.

I'm at maybe 13k hands, and after doubling my initial $50 grinding .05/.10 I moved up to .25/.50 and it almost feels easy. Hope this helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 02:50 AM

THANKS, I just got SSHE. Cant wait to tear into it.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:52 AM

You will find that WLLH had as much chance in this fight as a one legged man in an asskicking contest.