Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 06:49 AM

Default 3 Quick Live Hands

These 3 hands comes all from a very good loose-aggressive 15/30 live game I played yesterday. I know the hands are not very interesting but I would like to have your opinions. Thank you!

HAND #1
Hero raises UTG w/A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], MP1 (loose-aggressive arab) calls, MP2 (new at the table, loose and bad so far) calls, CO (loose-aggressive drunk man) 3-bets, Mr. Anytwo on the buttom (tilting and drunk. Nice combination! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) caps, SB (not good but quite taggish) calls, Hero calls. All call, except for MP2 who folds. 5 to the flop for 23 SB.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The pot was too big to try to protect my hand on the flop. My plan was to just call the flop, reevalute on the turn and, if given the chance, protect my hand there. Like my plan? Anyway, this is what happened:

SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero raises!?

HAND #2
I played pretty loose against these clowns preflop. But sometimes I think I called raises a bit too liberally:

Hero is BB w/K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. EP3 (same as MP1 in hand #1) calls, MP3 (same as CO in hand #1) raises, CO (same as Button in hand #1) 3-bets, Button (same as SB in hand #1) calls, Hero calls. All the rest calls. 5 to the flop for 15.5 SB.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

All check to button who bets, SB calls, Hero calls, EP3 calls, CO folds. 4 to turn for 9.5 BB.

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

All check to button who bets, SB folds, Hero raises, EP3 calls, Button folds. 2 to the river for 14.5 BB

River is some rag. Bet, fold.

The play on turn and river was standard. It's first of all my calls preflop and on the flop I'm wondering about. Thoughts?

HAND #3
Hero is UTG w/A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raises. MP1 (same as MP1 in hand #1) calls, CO (same as CO in hand #1) calls, BB (loose-passive asian boy) calls. 4 to flop for 8.5 SB.

Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB checks, Hero bets, EP3 calls, CO folds, BB check-raises. Who calls planning to raise the turn and who 3-bets. And why?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: 3 Quick Live Hands

Hand 1: Jeez, I don't know. You can't really protect your hand, so I guess you might as well checkraise for value when the bet comes from where it does.

Betting into MP2 on the turn is another option, but he might not raise. And if he does, I guess maybe you're not ahead.

I think I like the checkraise.

Hand 2: Ordinarily I'd muck preflop, but under the circumstances, I'd be tempted to play, at a slight discount. Who knows what the preflop raise and 3-bet mean? I could have the best hand.

On the flop, peeling with the overcards and backdoor draws seems all right to me.

Hand 3: I'd probably 3-bet the flop. Versus your loose-passive opponent, I am worried about a set or Q8 (or even AA-KK), though. If Villain caps the flop, I guess I'd call down, expecting to lose. (And I'm hoping he won't just call the flop 3-bet and then checkraise the turn.)

Actually, against some of the very loose-passive live players I've played against, I'd consider just beginning to call down immediately. (I've played against people who hardly ever raise without two pair or better, let alone checkraise.)

Anyway, this one seems sort of read-based to me.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:38 PM

About HAND #1:

If it wasn't capped, just 3-bet, back to me preflop, should I cap then?

[ QUOTE ]
Betting into MP2 on the turn is another option, but he might not raise. And if he does, I guess maybe you're not ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting into MP2 on the turn was definitely an option worth to consider, but two factors made this an flop raise IMO:

1. Betting into him hoping he raises is a gamble. Maybe he raises, maybe he doesn't. And if he raises, will he raise a worse hand? I really don't know.

2. I don't know how the action will be on turn, but I do know I'm getting 4-to-1 on a flop raise (unless MP2 3-bets and makes some people to fold) which is huge. I'm winning this hand against these retards more than 20%.

About HAND #2:

I think KQo is quite borderline in this situation against three retards and one pretty tight OK player. But a call is probably OK. I estimate that I would play something like this in this situation:

Capping hands: AA-99, AKs-AJs, KQs-KJs, AK.
Calling hands: 88-22, ATs, KTs, QJs-98s, AQ-AJ, KQ.

What do you think. Am I too loose?

About HAND #3:

The checkraiser was a bit too loose and too passive. He was no calling station and I think he would raise here with an eight and definitely a worse queen.

I 3-bet the flop in this hand, but afterwards I wasn't sure if I did the right thing. Since the checkraiser is on my right I will have a perfect opportunity to protect my hand on the turn with a raise and face MP1 with two BBs. But when I think about, the pot wasn't very big yet and a 3-bets actually protects my hand quite well. Comments?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:54 PM

Hand One: I'm not raising ATs under the gun. I suppose if you want to adjust to a really loose game this is fine, but I prefer tight play in early position.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand One: I'm not raising ATs under the gun. I suppose if you want to adjust to a really loose game this is fine, but I prefer tight play in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]
ATs is a raise on any table. ATo is usually a fold in early position.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too tight.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:10 PM

I don't really know the answers to these questions. Maybe someone else will give their opinions as well. But anyway . . .

[ QUOTE ]
About HAND #1:

If it wasn't capped, just 3-bet, back to me preflop, should I cap then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably just call the 3-bet. It doesn't sound like the drunk LAG who 3-bet has to have much of a hand, but there is the cold-call from the tight SB to think about. Also, although I generally raise ATs in EP, it (along with KJs) is one of my least favorite EP raising hands.

With better position, or a little bit better hand, I'd be more inclined to cap.

Anyway, though, I don't think capping is bad, in this instance. It might be better than just calling. I'm not sure.

[ QUOTE ]
About HAND #2:

I think KQo is quite borderline in this situation against three retards and one pretty tight OK player. But a call is probably OK. I estimate that I would play something like this in this situation:

Capping hands: AA-99, AKs-AJs, KQs-KJs, AK.
Calling hands: 88-22, ATs, KTs, QJs-98s, AQ-AJ, KQ.

What do you think. Am I too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to tighten up at wild tables. So I probably wouldn't play the AJ and KQ and KTs and JTs-98s, for instance, versus a preflop raise and 3-bet, outside the big blind.

In the big blind, I'd probably still grudgingly dump the KTs and JTs-98s. I might not play the AJ and KQ either. I really don't know what's best here, though.

Edit: Also, playing at wild tables like the one you describe can get frustrating for me, as I find myself frequently folding in the face of lots of preflop action with what I suspect is the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
About HAND #3:

The checkraiser was a bit too loose and too passive. He was no calling station and I think he would raise here with an eight and definitely a worse queen.

I 3-bet the flop in this hand, but afterwards I wasn't sure if I did the right thing. Since the checkraiser is on my right I will have a perfect opportunity to protect my hand on the turn with a raise and face MP1 with two BBs. But when I think about, the pot wasn't very big yet and a 3-bets actually protects my hand quite well. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 3-betting the flop and waiting until the turn, hoping to raise then, are both reasonable plans.