Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 12:36 AM

Default cost of hopping tables?

At $0.5/1 there doesn't seem any point to collecting data on players like you would at higher limits. And I don't go out of my way looking for buddies since there's an endless supply of new ones.

So I usually go for near-highest $$ table averages and normally only sit in when there's less than 5-6 near-buy-in players (which I usually take to mean the action is likely over with and all that's left are ppl like me that got there late).

I generally do pretty good picking tables but with turnover and tables way too tight that couldn't have been known ahead of time I still hop around a fair amount. So I have dozens of pt sessions where I paid blinds for a couple/few orbits, maybe lost a couple times, maybe not, then left for greener pastures. These sessions are all in the minus $0.75 - $3 range.

What I'm wondering is if maybe I'm paying a premium for all this hopping around? Like the idea of "it's only one measly bet to call" which repeated innumerable times really adds up. So even though a table might have too few loose players for my tastes, should I not be so quick to bail and stay longer to maybe win a pot or two before leaving? Or am I only imagining that hopping around is costing me extra?

Mike
Old 05-29-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: cost of hopping tables?

I do a lot of hopping around and I think it actually helps me make money by being able to post the BB in the CO or MP3. This seems to have helped lower my losses from the BB.
Your mileage my vary, of course.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:17 AM

I do a lot of hopping around too. This is just good table selection and it's not costing us money at all. We're actually making money by finding better games that are more profitable.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:05 AM

How can you really know what a table is like with only 10-20 hands played with them?

But I know what you mean about sitting down, not liking the table and getting out after a very short while. Often this leads to a few lost bets and a losing session in pokertracker. But as long as we wait for the blinds (instead of posting) and play full orbits we're not paying anything for our privilege of choosing a better table.

All we're doing is (hopefully) continually improving our table until we find one that's good enough.

That's making money, not losing it.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:40 AM

How do people select tables on party? Is sitting down for a few orbits the only way?

I know that I will not stay at a table if VPIP is less than 30% at 0.5/1 and if PFR is >8% I leave too. last night was the first time I stayed up late (UK time) and I have 3 tables >50%! Never happened before when I play!
Old 05-29-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do people select tables on party? Is sitting down for a few orbits the only way?

I know that I will not stay at a table if VPIP is less than 30% at 0.5/1 and if PFR is >8% I leave too. last night was the first time I stayed up late (UK time) and I have 3 tables >50%! Never happened before when I play!

[/ QUOTE ]

I just pick a table and sit at it... for a while I was scouting tables for 5-10 minutes and then sitting down but that got pretty annoying for me... because

1. If I was scouting bad tables it'd take another 5-10 minutes while I scouted another one
2. I'd have to join a waiting list, and alot of the time I end up sitting in the chair once occupied by the juicy player.

So I just sit and play... if it is a tight table I don't mind staying there if I've got decent position on a loosie goosie.

KO
Old 05-29-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I'm wondering is if maybe I'm paying a premium for all this hopping around?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. As long as you don't post blinds early when you enter a new table and don't leave until the blinds get back to you (without posting) one orbit at any table costs you the same whether you have played there 10 hands or 1000 hands. So disregarding the value of reads your EV is the same, hopping frequently or not.

Who cares if you have many losing "1 orbit sessions"? You are interested in maximising your aggregate winnings over time. If not, you would leave any good game if you won the first hand you were in, just to get many "winning 1-orbit sessions" in PT. Doesn't make sense.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I know that I will not stay at a table if VPIP is less than 30% at 0.5/1 and if PFR is >8% I leave too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the 'first available' method of table selection. Datamining .5/1 seem to be more trouble than it's worth, to me. I'll ususally play an orbit or 2, and try to get a vague idea of the table texture. I actually prefer a table to be around 25-28% VPIP. The slightly tighter play seems to suit my game. (I would love Absolute's .5/1 if it weren't for the software).
Old 05-29-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do people select tables on party?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, at.5/1 on party, there are enough bad players that you should be able to sit down at pretty much any table and have the advantage. If you want to take the time to look for the best table, fine, but I don't think its going to make that big a difference at this level .

-Jaran
Old 05-29-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you really know what a table is like with only 10-20 hands played with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm too picky but I know everything I need to in one (or two max) orbits. If everything else checks out but I don't see lots of calling (3-4+ to most flops) I'm gone. For my interests I think table averages are generally useless so if I don't see at least a few individual > 35% vpip in that orbit or two that's all I need to know. I'm looking for ppl that want to gamble it up and keep hopping until I find a couple/few...

Mike