Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Gutshot hits, turn action?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font> Hero... ?

Do we want to go for overcalls here? I'm not really worried about being outdrawn as I also have a flush draw. Also, was peeling one off on the flop ok with 2 overcards, gutshot, and BDFD?
Old 05-28-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Gutshot hits, turn action?

I think I would have raised the flop, and that would make the turn action a lot easier. I'd probably raise the turn here too if you called on the flop.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:36 PM

By raising the flop, and knocking out the field, wouldn't I lose my equity edge? I only have a moderate draw, its not that strong.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:43 PM

I would also raise the flop. I reguarly raise flush draws and I have more outs here than a flush draw. Also, you may force someone behind you to fold a better J or 10 cleaning up your outs. Besides if UTG just calls your raise, you can win this pot alot of times on the river UI because UTG is just betting his OESD. That being said, if he does have a six then you can bum-rape him on the turn with your better straight.

I think the turn is a decent spot to pick up overcalls since you do have a great redraw. It would be prime if a player behind you raised with their six so you could 3 bet.

*EDIT* Wait a second, you shoudl definetly raise the flop because anyone with a six is gonna call you anyways.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:48 PM

Raising the flop I'm thinking is somewhat -EV. You've got 6 over outs and 5.5 bd/gutshot outs. The board's going to be coordinated if you're sitting there with a pair of tens. At first I thought I'd definitely raise the flop, but now I think I like the call.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:58 PM

A flop raise isn't super bad here. I like a flop call though, and I would probably do that...the turn raise is an obvious one, and has nothing to do with knocking out the field. Raise the turn because at this point you have an equity edge - you can't lose your edge by raising. Raising is almost always +EV when you have an edge this large. You are hoping someone has a 6 and will re-raise you...but even if two people call your raise, you are making the same as you would if everyone overcalled. I raise here 100% of the time, because there is no need to slowplay this...The turn and river are where you make money with hands that turn out like this...

Liam
Old 05-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Only a flush draw and a 6 are going to call this. If someone has a 6, they are going to raise if i check, allowing me to 3-bet. I am thinking going for the overcalls may be a good idea here.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:33 PM

I think overcalls are good here. You're not really afraid of any hands outdrawing you here, and you've got 5 players to act behind you that you would hope one of them will raise.

On the other hand, against your typical party fish, you might raise, knowing they will call you with a pair of 8s thinking it's best.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, against your typical party fish, you might raise, knowing they will call you with a pair of 8s thinking it's best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Down at the micros I agree, this is a no-brainer raise. I see less and less of those type of players as I move up though.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:16 PM

Raising the flop would fold something like KJ or QT that might otherwise stick around. If you get yourself the button, you can take your free card if you want to.