Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Am I a big poker girl?

Button is loose and sorta passive, no read on other Villain.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

C/R here hoping to protect my hand against weaker draws and hoping to get a free card.

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Now here a friend of mine said that I need to sack up and bet this turn to take control.

River: (10 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

and I still have 2nd pair in a big pot so I think it might be good.

Did I bungle this?

Here's another fun hand:
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Another thing I still suck at is overcards. I have no idea what I was thinking with this flop 3-bet, I'm out of position and I have no draws.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Aargh! I think the big problem here is the flop 3-bet. Should I just call the raise and check/fold the turn UI? Or is that girly?

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 05-28-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Am I a big poker girl?

Hand 1:
You need to lead the turn.

Hand 2:
Wow. I just played a hand where I got 3-betted on the flop and when I just called, he check/folded the turn. I was laughing my ass off.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:44 AM

In the first hand, you misapplied the free card play. In order for this play to work properly, you needed to be the last to act.

Say you flop middle pair with a BDFD. Villain bets, MP2 calls, now you raise. Turn comes up, villain checks, MP2 checks, you check.

Then you have last position to act on the river.

If you're first to act on the turn, and you check, villain will probably know that you haven't hit your draw.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:00 PM

When you're the aggressor on the flop you have to bet the turn!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Pretty hard to give yourself a free card when you're first to act. When do you want to play our match? And can you play like this for me? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the first hand, you misapplied the free card play. In order for this play to work properly, you needed to be the last to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't an attempt for a free card (well, it wasn't the correct time to try for one anyways). Hero was checking to see what action happens behind him. The single LP bettor could be leading with less than a queen because he was checked to, so we decide to raise to face the field with 2 and protect what still may be the best hand. It worked quite well here since we blew out out most of the field.

But I agree with Nick in that this is pointless if Hero doesn't follow up on the turn.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:30 PM

Same goes for the second hand. If you are going to 3 bet the flop you should follow up with a turn bet. This was just blowing 3 sbs.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't an attempt for a free card (well, it wasn't the correct time to try for one anyways). Hero was checking to see what action happens behind him. The single LP bettor could be leading with less than a queen because he was checked to, so we decide to raise to face the field with 2 and protect what still may be the best hand. It worked quite well here since we blew out out most of the field.

But I agree with Nick in that this is pointless if Hero doesn't follow up on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read his post. I don't know about you, but the words "hoping to get a free card" sound like he's going for a free card here.

Then again, I could be wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read his post. I don't know about you, but the words "hoping to get a free card" sound like he's going for a free card here.

Then again, I could be wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right that OP said he wanted a free card, but IMO he was mistaken in attempting for one. Your post seemed to imply that that biggest problem you had with this was OP's position, and not that the attempt itself was in error.

While it's true that it's hard to get a free card out of position, it's far more imporant to understand that Hero doesn't want a free card here. I got the impression that you would take a free card if you did have position in this hand, whereas I would keep on firing if checked to on the turn.

With a vulnerable pair hand that may be best, a free card is generally the opposite of what you want, in any position.