Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2003, 07:05 PM

Default A Question about pocket AA

The scenario is, you are dealt pocket AA, and thru preflop raising you get into a two player showdown. Flop comes A, rag, rag, but all suited. Other player bets, you raise, he re-raises, and by knowing this player pretty well you put him solidly on a flush. The question is, is it wise to keep calling down hoping for the board to pair? If there were one or two players still hanging around contributing to the pot does this make you more likely to hang because of larger pot odds? I have trouble laying down a monster like AA and wanted to see what others would do in this situation.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:20 PM

Default Re: A Question about pocket AA

The odds of making a full house after you flop three of a kind are approximately 2 to 1. So you don't need a very large pot to justify calling this all the way to the river. If there are enough players you should probably even raise.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:58 PM

If you flopped a set, and he flopped a flush with no straight you have outs to the nuts. If your opponent will pay you off, even a better chance to be in there.

I dont think I have ever folded that hand or any set against flush. Perhaps its a leak in my game.

Interesting post.

Old 05-03-2003, 03:10 AM

hi tommy
yea, you want to throw in a couple raises, making the draws pay. remember that just like an opponents actions take precedence over any particular read when that opponent bets in a manner that isn't consistant with your read; at some point of hand strength, the same thing happens. in other words, if you have top trips, but are against an opponent who wouldn't bet heavily into a monotone board unless he held the flush, even if your opponent bets heavily, the strength of your hand is more important. you can look at slowing on the turn when reraised; but if bet into by a flop four bettor, you will still be raising if a rag hits, even if you know that he wouldn't bet without the flush. your certainty can never be greater than your top set.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:14 PM

I call down hoping the board will pair after the flop reraise. Especially if you have other hands contributing to the pot. After the turn you have 10 outs to the nuts.

Now the questions is, does that player have a hand like K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] and is ramming it on the potential of his nut-flush? I've seen this play many times. Say the turn is an off-suit blank...he only has 8 outs and you still have 10. I'm interested on what you did in this situation...will there be results?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:13 PM

I like L.J.'s theory of the nut flush draw. Are you sure this other player wouldn't come at you with an A-rag 2 pair?? ( I know you said "solidly" )That's my only other thought of hand strength. What kind of hand do you think he put you on ?

Anyhow I would check call to the river also.

TJ
Old 05-06-2003, 01:48 PM

Especially heads-up I think you should call down your opponent. Top set is just way too big a hand to be dumping because you think your opponent flopped a flush.

-Scott