Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Mid-pair + flush draw

Live local NL $500, $2/$5 blinds, seven-handed, early in the game so all stacks are about even. HERO and villain have played several times and are very familiar with each other. Both are very tough LAGs that like to play many hands even in raised pots, will work hard to outplay opponents, will not get trapped with mediocre hands for their entire stacks, etc.

HERO is CO with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Folds to villain who opens for $20. HERO calls, BB calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, villain bets $50, HERO raises to $150, BB folds, villain thinks a moment and calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, HERO ???

Read: Villain isn't stupid. It's unlikely he's slowplaying a huge hand as he knows HERO will make this play with a flush draw or a big hand both. Flopped set is highly unlikely. Disguised flopped two pair is possible as villain has been known to make occasional raises with trash in an attempt to take down a huge pot with a hidden hand. More likely his is either legitimate in a big draw or a reasonably solid hand. HERO's read is he's most likely on A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or AJ, but not sure which. HERO is typically solid at reading people, so I'd estimate the chances villain is on one of those two hands is high.

Villain is capable of laying a hand down, but it depends on his read...he's also very strong at reading people, and if he feels he's currently best in the hand with something like AJ, he will not lay it down.

- Chris
Old 05-27-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Mid-pair + flush draw

if you are "HERO" then this post is really funny. BTW/ you dont give stack sizes, but i dont think raising the flop is too great... alot of the hands that will fold to this raise will check and fold to a bet on fourth... since you did raise the flop, i think you should keep the pedal to the metal on the turn...
Old 05-27-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Live local NL $500, $2/$5 blinds, seven-handed, early in the game so all stacks are about even. HERO and villain have played several times and are very familiar with each other. Both are very tough LAGs that like to play many hands even in raised pots, will work hard to outplay opponents, will not get trapped with mediocre hands for their entire stacks, etc.

HERO is CO with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Folds to villain who opens for $20. HERO calls, BB calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, villain bets $50, HERO raises to $150, BB folds, villain thinks a moment and calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, HERO ???

Read: Villain isn't stupid. It's unlikely he's slowplaying a huge hand as he knows HERO will make this play with a flush draw or a big hand both. Flopped set is highly unlikely. Disguised flopped two pair is possible as villain has been known to make occasional raises with trash in an attempt to take down a huge pot with a hidden hand. More likely his is either legitimate in a big draw or a reasonably solid hand. HERO's read is he's most likely on A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or AJ, but not sure which. HERO is typically solid at reading people, so I'd estimate the chances villain is on one of those two hands is high.

Villain is capable of laying a hand down, but it depends on his read...he's also very strong at reading people, and if he feels he's currently best in the hand with something like AJ, he will not lay it down.

- Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you play a set of Ts or 7s on the flop, and what would you do with either one of those hands if you boated (or made quads) on 4th. Play the hand that way.

The Doc
Old 05-27-2005, 12:38 PM

$250 on the turn if stacks were bigger.

Since they're not, check or go all-in. I like checking.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:48 PM

Betting 30% of your stack with a pair+draw hand on the flop is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. What are you going to do if he calls and the turn blanks?
2. What are you going to do if he pushes?

If stacks are more like 1k, a flop raise is fine. If stacks are a bit smaller (say, 300ish), and you think you have fold equity, you could push. But this raise puts you in an ugly spot, so you should call.

-muz
Old 05-27-2005, 03:55 PM

I agree he should have called the flop.

Situation 2 in your post though is an insta-call.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:17 PM

Right, my point being that you are not happy about it. His range of hands on a push is probably such that you are getting your stack in with the worst of it, but having put 30% of your $ in, you are committed.

Guess I could have been more explicit...

-muz
Old 05-27-2005, 09:02 PM

I should have had stack sizes in there, sorry. They were even stacks, both HERO and villain had a little less than $600...they both had about $400 left after the flop action.

I was HERO in this pot. This hand is actually almost two years old, and I agree that I don't think I played it that well. I had about $400 behind and didn't like the position I was put in on the turn.

Results a little later in case more people want to respond...I'm curious about thoughts on how to act in a hand against someone you think is 50/50 to have you beat or not, and will likely call if he has you beat but likely fold if he has the flush draw and you move all in.

- C -