Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 07:51 AM

Default A8 against possible steal

I'm pretty close to the money but unfortunatly the small stack of the entire tourney, I have about 4,2k and blinds are 200/400. SB seems to be kinda loose-aggressive.

I have A8o in BB and it is folded to SB who raises it to 2400, should I go all-in?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Re: A8 against possible steal

I would fold if I wanted the money, but reraise all-in is also an option if you believe you have the best hand. Calling is horrible since he will come out betting no matter what the flop is, and you might end up folding the best hand.

Personally I like to get into money, so I would fold here. And if he was stealing, so what? It was only one BB after all.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if he was stealing, so what? It was only one BB after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very costly way of thinking about the problem. It's entirely ignoring the potential value from getting all-in against a worse hand.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:51 AM

I was in that tourney and I'm trying to remember if I saw that hand. I want to say if it was JonasJonnsson, or whateevr his name was, then stop n go or push, your call. Otherwise, I don't like to push against expressed strength unless I simply have no choice. It seems like you could pick a better spot, even though you're ~10xBB. How much more did the aggressor have? I know he had you covered, but how much bigger was his stack?

-D.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very costly way of thinking about the problem. It's entirely ignoring the potential value from getting all-in against a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, not really. The chips he has is worth far more than the chips he might win if he pushes. And even if he doubles up, he is far from good shape. Better play it safe to the money, and then take some chanses.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:54 AM

He has the odds to call your allin, so you need to have the best hand.

However, my question is this: Do you have 4200 AFTER posting the BB? If so, I'd fold as you still have 10x BB after posting the SB next hand. This will also help you if you seem to be TOO tight to steal a few blinds in the next orbit, which I also would do.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:57 AM

You see, my response was aimed at your statement: " And if he was stealing, so what? It was only one BB after all."

Which is very different from your statement: "The chips he has is worth far more than the chips he might win if he pushes. And even if he doubles up, he is far from good shape. Better play it safe to the money, and then take some chanses."

The second statement is not deficient in the way I was suggesting your first statement was. Not that I necessarily agree with it--but at least now your analysis is acknowledging and considering the value that comes from getting all-in pre-flop.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:21 PM

With close to 10 x BB your absolutely not in panic mode yet. But of course you wouldn't mind doubling up.

With such a smallish stack in general you want to be the aggressor, opening the pot all-in, to gain Folding Equity. Obviously the SB in this situation will call if you move in, so you have no FE. You course of action must therefore be somewhat read-dependend.

We don't know the size of the SB's stack - is he desperate at this point? What does his 6 x BB over-bet mean - he doesn't want you to call, or he's trying to chide you into a call with a strong hand?

What scope of hands do you put the SB on? Any pair, any two high cards, strong Aces, any Ace, or any two?

What is your table image? You've been nursing a small stack throughout the tournament ... does that mean you've been folding a lot (which points towards moving all-in), or is the problem that nobody has called your moves?

Your A8 is a slight under-dog to any pair 22 - 77, a big dog to higher pair and better Aces, ahead of worse Aces (A2 - A7) and approximately a 3 : 2 fav against "live card" hands like KT etc.

Since there are no antes in the pot (correct assumption?) your potential pot odds are very close to 1:1.

Unless you with certainty can put the SB on a wide range of hands it looks like less than an even shot for even money.

If the blinds were to go up within the next couple of minutes I might move in ... but if you have a chance of seing yet 8 - 10 hands with a stack of close to 10 BB I would fold and take my chances opening from a better position.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 05-27-2005, 03:27 PM

I think my table image was reasonably tight and the blinds would soon go up.
My opponent could have any of the hands you decribed, and he had a reasonably big stack, about 15k I think..

After giving this some tought, and reading your advice, I guess the best thing to do would be to lay it down and wait for a better spot. Even if one doesn't come, I might still reach the money.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:41 PM

This was at RVegas, right? Didn't you FT? or am I crazy?

-D.