Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: NYC poker raid?

3 people did not have ID. 2 were held, one guy had ID in the car and the Police were "nice" enough to go and get it for him and let him go.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's illegal not to carry ID.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you can at least be held for not having it. i don't know if you can be charged or not.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any resulting IRS complications for the players?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine NYPD communicating with the IRS about players, but even if they did I don't think you'd have a problem unless they got a record of your buy-ins and cash-outs (but maybe the club had one and that's your concern). I certainly can't imagine the IRS deciding to audit all members of NYC clubs that got busted. Plus, without your social security number, which I assume the clubs didn't have, it would take an extra step, I assume, for them to get it to audit you (they could probably do it easily, but I doubt they'd want to bother).
Old 05-27-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine NYPD communicating with the IRS about players, but even if they did I don't think you'd have a problem unless they got a record of your buy-ins and cash-outs (but maybe the club had one and that's your concern). I certainly can't imagine the IRS deciding to audit all members of NYC clubs that got busted. Plus, without your social security number, which I assume the clubs didn't have, it would take an extra step, I assume, for them to get it to audit you (they could probably do it easily, but I doubt they'd want to bother).

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly NYPC asked for a social security number when I first joined last year.

TT
Old 05-27-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly NYPC asked for a social security number when I first joined last year.

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right... the form had a place for your SS# -- but they didn't make you fill it out... I am sure a lot of people filled it out anyway...

but these clubs don't keep track of the amounts you buy-in and cash-out.... particularly not at NYPC... they move so much money in and out so fast... if you had an account with them (i.e., didn't carry the cash back and forth), then there could be some concern.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's illegal not to carry ID.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you can at least be held for not having it. i don't know if you can be charged or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Practically speaking you often can and might be held. Often the police will bring someone in instead of giving them a summons if they don't have ID because they want to check who the person is and generally they can do this. But it's not illegal to not have ID. It's also worth keeping in mind that cops often do, and can get away with doing, what they want which is why it's important to be cooperative and polite. For example, if you're in a club and it gets busted don't go telling them how you don't have to have ID and it's legal for the players to be gambling and they have no right to detain you or ask for your ID and you're leaving. If you do that they will probably arrest you.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't read into this, but as I was leaving Aquarium on Tuesday 7 police cars pulled up near to their front door. The lights were on, no sirens. I didn't think anything of it at the time and kept walking. Does anyone know if they were affected?

[/ QUOTE ]

They were open last night.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TT

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah and I guess you filled it out. Next time leave it blank. But I still don't think you'll have a problem. To me the #1 reason not to put it down is just identity theft worries. But on that front the police having them would cut down on any risk.

Also for what it's worth I asked about those forms. The first night I ever went in they just took my name and phone or email or something and didn't even ask me to fill out the form. The next time they told me to and I did (leaving SS# blank). Later I noticed and could tell from conversation that some new people had come in without filling out the form. I asked about it and was told they weren't doing the forms. When I asked if they could grab mine then so I could throw it out they said they didn't have time, but were going to just throw them out when they had the chance anyway. But I didn't really believe him. Also they then did go back to making everyone fill out the forms.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:45 PM

Is anyone (everyone) going to A/C this weekend instead?

I'll be @ Borg 20/40 Sat/Sun.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone (everyone) going to A/C this weekend instead?

I'll be @ Borg 20/40 Sat/Sun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be there too Fri - Mon ... 10/20 & 20/40.