Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Vegas room with free lessons/classes for new players?

Best lesson they will every get is to go play Bellagio $4-8. They will get to see everything they can imagine on a poker table in a matter of minutes. They should feel comfortable as well, since it often plays like a drunken home game. And they won't feel out of place since they likely won't be as new to poker as some of the others at the table.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:50 PM

Is the Bellagio 4/8 really that bad? I hit up the 2/4 at Alladin, 2/4 and 3/6 at Luxor and 2/6 spread at Excal and was cleaning up at all 3 places (up about 600 in 3 days). But I was still nervous about the "Big rooms" like Bellagio and Mirage. They just seemed much more upscale and competent. But if 4/8 is as bad at Bellagio as you say, maybe I will be hitting it up next time I am there in September.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 PM

There are good players at $4-8. I play there everytime I vist which is 2-3 times a year (this will change now though with all the new rooms open - going in June and will play MGM, Wynn, Ballys, Aladdin). Was there most recently in Feb. with a buddy from our home game. He doesn't play more than $6-12 so I sat with him at Bellagio $4-8 for a couple days. It should take you about two or three rounds to figure who plays well and who doesn't. Most won't play well but you and one or two others will. Once you've sorted that out, sit back and enjoy the ride.....just don't lose it when you get rivered by four outers every now and then...you will get their money eventually.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:08 PM

That was my experience at the Luxor too. I was there in December, spent a night at 2/4 and paid for my room and my flight. There were a lot of regulars and they were all bad (after all it was a 2/4 game). Cocktailers were pretty hot and the beer was pretty cold LOL
Old 05-27-2005, 10:53 AM

The cocktail waitresses were decently hot when I was there, not bad to look at... no Rio or Bikini Blackjack. But decent.. but good god were they fast. I was only drinking water and coke, and they bring these little drinks to you. But they were back before I even drank half of it! It was insane.. best service I have seen in awhile. The kitchen is right by the poker room which helps a lot.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... I was still nervous about the "Big rooms" like Bellagio and Mirage. They just seemed much more upscale and competent.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference, IMHO, is that the average low-limit player seems to be wealthier at Bellagio and Mirage. Where at the Aladdin $2/$4, that $100 means something to most of the players, about half the $4/$8 players at Bellagio have a bottomless supply of Benjamins and will gamble with anything.

The strategy to beat those games is straightforward (raise less, call more, bet your draws for proper value, and be ready for some suckouts); it's just a different flavor from the more passive games at the "lower-scale" rooms.