Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: QQ vs 3 opponents

[ QUOTE ]
How is calling more likely to lose than folding? I haven't picked up any pots after I folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that if you check, worse hands are not likely to bet unless you have a specific read. Let's say someone has like a pair of 5's here. If you bet, he will probably call. If you check, he will probably not bet thus you lose a value bet opportunity.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:45 PM

Very well put, Dave. Thanx.

edit: I guess one of my leaks is that I just can't lay it down on the river for 1 bet, so I make sure that I just 1 bet the river.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a bet's going in on this river, I'd rather bet/fold than check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-27-2005, 08:17 AM

er, why are they called '3 opponents' if there's only 2 of em?
Old 05-27-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is calling more likely to lose than folding? I haven't picked up any pots after I folded.

OK, excuse the smart-assism. I do appreciate your comment.Is it as likely that a .50 1 player will have you beat if he bets than a 3-6 player? I think that pups and kitties are being mutilated everywhere if a 13 bet pot is folded to for 1 bet.

edit: Specific to this hand, it's possible that CO has a flush. It's also possible that he has jacks. A check may induce a bluff or bet on a smaller pair. Same 1 bet, better outcome than a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking enables worse hands to check behind you while better hands will bet. Thus by check calling you lose out both ways, you gain nothing from the worse hands and you pay off the better hands. Betting makes the worse hands pay you off while you can comfortably fold to a raise from a better hand.
Also, on this hand you don't want overcalls as your hand probably won't stand up to them. A check might induce a bluff against one player but not two. UTG+1 overcalled, so he has to have something, (perhaps a weak Ace).
Actually looking at this hand I like check raising the river the best. You knock out UTG+1 and get it heads up thus improving your chances to win. You don't want him overcalling this pot. A bad raise with a strong hand may cost you a few overcalls. A sloppy call with a weak hand could cost you the pot.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:27 AM

I think it's close between bet-fold and check-fold, based on how strong your 'not stupid' read is. If both of these guys were solid I'd seriously consider c/fing. If they were pretty loose post-flop too, I'd bet-fold it. Against most party players, I would bet-fold.