Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: how many of you buy medical/dental insurance? And how much is it?

[ QUOTE ]

In a two-tiered health care system (like you have suggested), the good health care resources and personel are drawn into the private sector, leaving the public sector with the crumbs.

Is it fair to say the poor don't deserve as good of health care as the rich? Doesn't this devalue the poor's health/life?

[/ QUOTE ]

your argument is nice in theory, but the unfortunate truth is that NOBODY can get good healthcare here in canada. even if you could afford it, you're stuck with the crap that everyone gets.

i mean, i agree that everyone should get good healthcare whether they're rich or poor, but i also think it sucks that good healthcare isn't available to me just because making it available would somehow be unfair to those that can't afford it.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:41 PM

there are a couple free health insurance programs in certain states. i know new york has one where you can apply and be covered for everything (including dental) for free so long as you dont have a job. if you make your living playing poker... that doesnt count, by their standards, as a job. i forget what the name of the program in new york is called, but just try to google 'free health insurance' and the name of whatever state youre in.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Socialized medicine is awesome as long as you don't mind waiting months for any kind on non-emergency care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats bull I had to have my knee done after tearing my ACL playing soccer after seeing the Surgeon had it done two weeks later.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:07 PM

i pay 375.49 a month for complete medical, dental, vision, prescriptions, etc. i have a 10 dollar copay.

although starting september i will get all that for free. because my gf starts teaching. thanks ny state residents for your tax dollars. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 PM

Check out Blue Cross's website. My COBRA is expiring so I had to get a different policy. I am single, age 37, and went with a high deductible policy ($5K). Monthly payments are about $250. I didn't do much shopping, but it was cheaper than my other policy. I didn't bother with dental (just had a crown and root canal BEFORE COBRA ran out...whew).
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 PM

can i ask what company you get your insurance through? i no longer have a real job and still have yet to get any insurance. i would really appreciate a name or website or something that could get me started. thanks a lot
Old 05-26-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Doc,

Read the NY Times Article on how 3 people, one a rich guy with connections, one middle class, and one poor, all fared when they had mild heart attacks in the big city before you
say the word rubbish.

This is reality: The rich guy got great care, the middle class guy got fair care, and the poor immigrant lady got almost no care.

MK

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link? Did they all go to the same hospital at the same time? What evidence was given that the rich got got great care? Please elaborate.