Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Default What does X% VPIP mean?

I've moved to the NLHE game at party for a little bit. In addition to getting the snot kicked out of me when I have top pair, I've had a chance to look at some aspects of the game of holdem (limit and NL) on a conceptual level.

-------

A tight aggressive player is going to have a lowwer VPIP in early position, and a much larger VPIP in late position (including many PFRs).

I think a loose-aggressive would have pretty much flat VPIP and PFR.

However, a fishy type I believe would have a lower VPIP in later positions than they would have in early positions, simply because sometimes it's going to be capped when it gets to them, and they may feel like mucking J9o for 4-cold. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So, for a fish, it's quite possible that they're going to have the opposite trend of a TAA, in that they will actually drop their VPIP as their position improves.

Additionally, one VPIP could mean two things for two different players.

A player who is sensitive to position will be playing worse hands in better position, and the person who is position-insensitive will be playing the same hands in all positions.

Some players may overvalue suited connectors like 96s whereas another player may overvalue weak top pair hands like KTo, regardless of position sensitivity.

Anyways, just some thoughts on the subject. Please feel free to jump in with any other ideas. I'm cross-posting on small-stakes holdem.

--Dave.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: What does X% VPIP mean?

bump
Old 05-26-2005, 06:32 PM

These are interesting ideas. Have you looked at your PT stats to see if there is data to support your hypothesis? I'll check some later.

Nak
Old 05-26-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are interesting ideas. Have you looked at your PT stats to see if there is data to support your hypothesis? I'll check some later.

Nak

[/ QUOTE ]

Most recently, I've been playing NLHE, where I had a flat vpip across all positions of 22%ish. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't good, though my winrate was decent after 20k hands.

Edit: If you're going to analyze this, you should filter your hands so that you only get hands with X players in it, otherwise your VPIP will show higher for 4th and 5th position if your tables occassionally drop to 6-8 players.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nak

[/ QUOTE ]

Most recently, I've been playing NLHE, where I had a flat vpip across all positions of 22%ish. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't good, though my winrate was decent after 20k hands.

Edit: If you're going to analyze this, you should filter your hands so that you only get hands with X players in it, otherwise your VPIP will show higher for 4th and 5th position if your tables occassionally drop to 6-8 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also meant looking at the stats for other people. I haven't looked yet.

Nak