Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: cigarrette smoking and poker

I quit (hopefully for good) 2 years ago, but I didn't play poker at the time, so I can't offer any direct poker experience-based advice.

But from what I remember, for the first few weeks/months, I was very edgy, my temper was short, and my judgment was poor, so I'm sure if I had played poker it would have had a negative effect on my game.

On the other hand, it's really helpful when quitting to have an activity that is absorbing and keeps you focused on something other than cigarettes, and if poker can provide a distraction for you when you need it, that could be a good thing (for quitting smoking -- not necessarily for poker -- perhaps playing lower limits than you normally do would be a good idea).

If smoke breaks help you calm down, then I would strongly suggest still taking breaks (and chewing gum or eating candy or something -- I did this at work because I was use to taking several smoke breaks during the day and I felt they helped keep me focused -- I gave up the smokes but kept taking the breaks).

I would suggest trying any and all methods that work for you to help you quit -- patch, gums, acupuncture, hypnotism, drugs, exercise, support groups, meditation, ask a doctor for help/guidance -- any and all of them as long as they help you (well, you probably shouldn't combine the patch and the gum -- although there were times I was tempted to...).

Different things work for different people. For me, the patch helped for the first few weeks and then constantly finding new distractions (exercise, video games, books, learning digital photography, etc.) got me the rest of the way. Wasn't fun, but I am glad I did it.

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what I don't want is to actually have to stop smoking (if that makes any sense...)

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes perfect sense.

Actually, acupuncture helped me quit in a strange way. My sister is an acupuncturist, and she gave me a treatment. I don't really take acupuncture seriously, but how could I relapse, knowing that it would disappoint her?

GG
Old 05-25-2005, 08:45 PM

http://www.whyquit.com/

I took Zyban I bought off the internet and didn't have any withdrawal problems.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:08 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 02:23 PM

I started smoking when I was sixteen and was easily hitting a pack and a half by 26. I quit by purposely going to those environments where I was most likely to feel the greatest craving with the sole purpose of not smoking. This included boring parties where I didn't know anyone, shooting pool, bowling, bars and such. After about a month of that, a situation didn't come up that pushed me anymore. In essence, a balls to the wall, no excuses, cold turkey approach is what worked for me. (caveat: first try held true for a year and I backslid. second try has been 10 years and holding fast and the very idea of smoking a cigarette is distasteful to me.)
Old 05-26-2005, 07:22 PM

BigSteve recently made a post in OOT about quitting smoking to which I made the following response:

[ QUOTE ]

I quit about two months ago and every time that I see a cig I want to have one. Actually everytime that I think about them I want to have them. I want to have one right now...

Quitting is hard but smoking is an ACTIVE addiction. In order to smoke you need to buy a pack, get a lighter, put a smoke in your mouth, and light it up. To quit you simply have to not do these things (easier said than done but this helped me)

Something else that helped me A LOT was making the below picture the background on my computer. I stare at this every day and it really helps. Good luck, stay strong.

warning, the below picture is nasty it is a cancerous lung

if you dont want to see it scroll down

its really gross what we do to ourselves...

Lungs are supposed to be pink... try staring at this every day, it helped me.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thread can be found here Cold Turkey

read it, there was some good advice in it.

I sincerely reccomend making your background a cancer lung.

Your life is more important than a couple big bets that you might lose. If you feel edgy because you have quit then leave the table, save your life.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:47 PM

Anyone who has the desire/motivation to quit; I commend you. As for me, for the time being (hopefully), I am a smoker.

Getting up from the table for a cigarette break is a great way, for a smoker, to take a break- cool off, without losing any table image. It also carries the same 'soothing' effect you'd normally get when smoking a cigarete if stressed.

If you don't smoke, I think you can get up and walk around the same, but I've noticed people watch you differently... as if they are gauging your ability to deal with steam.

-NM