Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: betting the river

[ QUOTE ]
i personally don't consider JJ an automatic raise against two early limpers.as it happens i got no extra callers but when you flop a set the more the merrier.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to sound like a dick, but this is really bad. if you're not going to raise with JJ, you might as well not play poker.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:22 PM

ballet it is then!
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]i
i almost always raise first in with JJ but after a couple of limpers especially early limpers i often just call and wait for the flop.if an ace king or queen comes,more than half the time,then the smaller pot makes your hand easier to play.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:50 PM

I'm sure that everyone else will have discussed preflop, so I'll just say that I raise this too.

Flop: Sweet, you flopped top set. But then you raise and make 3 players face two cold. Was it because of the diamonds? Because you have a monster and pretty much the last thing you want to do is blow away the field like this.

River: Bet. What hands involving a 7 or 2 does a strong player continue with here? A7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], maybe pocket 77. Not scary.

I teach ballet for a living. You wouldn't make it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 04:48 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about the flop raise. On one hand, you wouldn't mind collecting overcalls, but on the other hand, by raising, you are happy to eliminate weak draws like A7o who would have made a straight on the river in this hand. However, A7o may have folded to the flop bet anyway.

But when you reach the river, you've got to bet.

And preflop, what are you planning to do if a A, K, or Q hits on the flop? Your decision is made easier by raising preflop for all the reasons one raises preflop. With two limpers behind me, I want to raise to eliminate opponents yet to act and make the weaker limpers pay to see the flop with their overcards or small/ medium pairs. I think it's easier to make post-flop decisions if you raise pf.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how I feel about the flop raise. On one hand, you wouldn't mind collecting overcalls, but on the other hand, by raising, you are happy to eliminate weak draws like A7o who would have made a straight on the river in this hand. However, A7o may have folded to the flop bet anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

in this particular hand, it would have been bad for hero if someone with something like A7o stuck around. as a general rule, though, I want people to hang about with their backdoor draws so that I can take more money from them.

and I agree - one would think that A7o would probably have folded the flop for one.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:18 PM

This is a newbie question here. Let's say hero bets the river and gets reraised? Are you supposed to fold? The stakes I play has really unpredictable players, you can't put them on a hand very accurately is why I ask.