Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Fishing 101

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im looking forward to the explanation for this one

[/ QUOTE ]

I play well post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

your flop call would indicate otherwise. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your play post flop? With the raiser behind you, the only way to isolate is to bet into them and let them raise (pushing others out).

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, why would I ever want to isolate the pf raise with 9-high? Second, even if I do bet into him, a raise does not necessarily shut out the field, as the pot is huge.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:50 AM

button and depending on the button, the co, and depending on the button and the co, the hijack, but mp3 is is a muck.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:52 AM

I'm still trying to figur out who is the fish at this table....

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, why would I ever want to isolate the pf raise with 9-high? Second, even if I do bet into him, a raise does not necessarily shut out the field, as the pot is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you wouldn't. I just can't think of any other way to win this aside from making your hand or isolating against another player and hoping they miss theirs. If there is some interesting play here that I cannot see, I'm eager to hear it. If you are going to tell us that you hit runner runner to win a huge pot - hey, that happens too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
button and depending on the button, the co, and depending on the button and the co, the hijack, but mp3 is is a muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, they were both red.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you wouldn't. I just can't think of any other way to win this aside from making your hand or isolating against another player and hoping they miss theirs. If there is some interesting play here that I cannot see, I'm eager to hear it. If you are going to tell us that you hit runner runner to win a huge pot - hey, that happens too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My intention was to check/fold the flop, but when the bet came from my left and all those guys called and I was closing the action and all those yellow chips were in there and my cards were red, well I couldn't contain myself.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when the bet came from my left and all those guys called and I was closing the action

[/ QUOTE ]

So you call with the intention of improving on the turn or folding. Let me guess, turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? or is it the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? (not that you'd have the heart draw, but it WOULD be a red card [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 05-26-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Canterbury Park 6/12. Very loose, passive table. Very good.

I am MP3 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play in a regular 4/8 game (6/12 on fridays) just like this at the local dinky cardroom. Loosest passivest limpfest you've ever seen. The other day, one of the dealers who always announces the number of players in the hand on each street couldn't contain his laughter every time he had to say, "Eight to the flop....again." Then he almost loses it announcing that the showdown was between A-high and K-high...again.

In a game like this, if I'm pretty sure there's no raise coming behind me (usually just from CO or Button, but sometimes from middle positions), I'll loosen up and play unsuited connectors (89, 9T) or the lower and usually unplayable suited two gappers (T7s) planning to muck quickly if nothing develops.

I didn't do this when I first started there, playing straight up ABC poker, but with 6-7 soft seats at the table, and most of the aggression coming from me, I've decided that when I'm (almost) sure of no raise behind, these hands can show a profit, since I can release them right away when they don't develop, and play them strongly when it's correct to do so. My opponents are not disciplined enough to do this, and don't understand postflop play, which (I think) makes these kinds of hands work in this particular game. Thoughts?
Old 05-26-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, with three people calling and the PFR betting into the full field at a passive table, your pair outs are no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the Canterbury Park 6/12, but if PBob's table was anything like some of the loose B&M 3/6 tables I've been at, there's no way to put anyone on much of anything, based on the flop action.

For instance, the first caller could have 98o, for the same undercard/backdoor straight draw as PBob.