Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Quarter Million Qualifier BUSTOUT HAND...how do i play?

The better players are the players that lay down big hands when needed, I know it's hard but I would fold here PF. I had a same situation few weeks ago in a live tournament, I was MP and I found QQ, I made a raise of three times the big blind, the button called and the SB went all-in, I though about for a long time and I layed it down, my thinking was, I have a caller and a raiser, one of them could have one of these three hands, KK, AA, AK, best case scenario it's a coin flip. I folded, the button called with AQ, the SB had KK, flopped a third one and knocked the other guy out, no one believed me that I layed down QQ.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Quarter Million Qualifier BUSTOUT HAND...how do i play

It's easy to be results oriented, but what's wrong with folding? On a good day the reraiser will have pocket Ten's.
On a bad day he'll have a bigger pocket pair than yours or you'll lose in a flip. Why jeopordize all your chips reraising when better opportunities will be present in the future for you to be the initial raiser.

Bruce
Old 05-24-2005, 12:54 PM

Could not agree with you more...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to be results oriented, but what's wrong with folding? On a good day the reraiser will have pocket Ten's.
On a bad day he'll have a bigger pocket pair than yours or you'll lose in a flip. Why jeopordize all your chips reraising when better opportunities will be present in the future for you to be the initial raiser.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

utg only has 2x. if i'm utg+2, i'd want to isolate with a wide range of hands, if i thought i could do it cheaply. 88, ATo, if i can get heads up with the despearte short-stack, that'd be great.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
utg only has 2x. if i'm utg+2, i'd want to isolate with a wide range of hands, if i thought i could do it cheaply. 88, ATo, if i can get heads up with the despearte short-stack, that'd be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think the min raise is an isolation raise isn't going all-in best. Hopefully you can push out the minraiser. This will leave his minraise as profit to hedge against a lose to UTG who might have an overcard.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:38 PM

well, because i'm not sure it's an isolation raise. if the flop comes down AKx i'm going to be happy i didn't get my chips in preflop. also this way if someone behind does wake up with AA i can fold.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you prefer a fold or a push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say without being there, but I probably prefer either to a call because this is a very difficult hand to play postflop. Paying 25% of my stack for the privilege of playing a tough flop IF the blinds don't reraise is not a good investment IMHO.

What's your plan for the flop when you just call?

Later,
Che
Old 05-24-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you prefer a fold or a push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say without being there, but I probably prefer either to a call because this is a very difficult hand to play postflop. Paying 25% of my stack for the privilege of playing a tough flop IF the blinds don't reraise is not a good investment IMHO.

What's your plan for the flop when you just call?

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

get all-in with an overpair/set, otherwise don't put any money in. the all-in guy protects the pot somewhat so i'm not worried about a hand like 99 pushing me off of a Qxx flop. if i were in the SB (out of position) then i'd definitely agree it's push or fold.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i were in the SB (out of position) then i'd definitely agree it's push or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

There will only be one action postflop on these stacks so I don't think position is all that valuable. Just my opinion.

You're going to face at least one overcard (without making a set) about 1/2 the time AND you're sometimes crushed (AA-QQ, flopped set) some % of the time even when you have an overpair, so I don't like the call.

I will admit that I haven't taken a hard look at the math, so I could be way off base here.

Later,
Che
Old 05-25-2005, 02:02 PM

thanks for your help, guys.

if anyone else has any suggestions on how to play this hand, please let me know. i'm sure it's a pretty common dilemma late in tourneys.

thanks!