Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 10:14 AM

Default A fantastic achievement: Misplaying every single street from 3rd-7th!

Seat 1 was an absolute maniac, playing 50%+ of hands and raising the majority of them.

I'd been card dead for a half hour so I decided to play this hand out of boredom (Mistake #1)

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___folds

Easy fold, but I was bored. And the completion with a 4 can mean anything from 247o to 444.

4th Street - (3.83 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Easy fold, but I was irritated at myself for calling the first bet so I decided to call another, figuring any KQJT would give me the better hand (or the open ended draw)

5th Street - (2.92 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

Caught my Q! But damn, he paired his door card. That means he probably has trips or at least 2 small pair. Should have folded, but how can I fold when I caught my perfect card, right?

6th Street - (4.92 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls

Bingo! Now I've got him! Oh, crap, he's full. I should fold, but maybe he's just betting trips and puts me on A's up (yeah, right).

River - (10.92 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (12.92 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $74.5 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ 4d 5s 4h 5c 4c Ah Kc ] [ a full house, Fours full of fives -- 5s,5c,4d,4h,4c ]

Hero: [ Ks Td Jd 3s Qs Ac As ] [ a straight, ten to ace -- Ac,Ks,Qs,Jd,Td ]

Gee, he was full in 5, I knew that. Why did I keep calling?
Why did I even play this hand to begin with? Why oh why do I let myself get bored and make such stupid plays!

Moral to the story: Don't play hands out of boredom, even against maniacal fish, because even the fish get monsters periodically and you end up being a sucker fish of your own.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: A fantastic achievement: Misplaying every single street from 3rd-7th!

I dont think your 3rd street call was that bad to be quite honest. I can be persuaded differently though.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: A fantastic achievement: Misplaying every single street from 3rd-7th!

Your hand is not as bad as it seems (but I’d only want to play it if it were completely live):

Ks Jd Td 256259 51.25 243722 48.74 19 0.00 0.513
5s 4d 4h 243722 48.74 256259 51.25 19 0.00 0.487

In any case you should re-raise on third to knock out the limper. If you’re gonna play marginal hands, play them aggressively.

Since you didn’t re-raise you might want to fold on 4th:

Ks 3s Jd Td 197809 39.56 302190 60.44 1 0.00 0.396
2s 5c 4d 4h 302190 60.44 197809 39.56 1 0.00 0.604

(Note that I gave him only one pair, since you couldn’t know he’d already made two pairs. Against two pairs you’re obviously (censored)).

If you had re-raised on 3rd, you could have taken one off, I guess.

5th is an easy fold.

6th is up to you… I might cap it against a maniac, bet out on the river and call a raise.

Does anybody else play this hand (in the 3/6 structure) if it’s live?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:43 AM

On 3rd if you are gonna play you should isolate the maniac.

Since you didn't do that I'd probably fold 4th. But I'd take one off if I raised 4th.

Again on 5th I'd fold...unless I raised 3rd.

I cap 6th here. I just will not give the paired door card any respect if this guy really is playing every other hand.

On 7th if I capped and he continues to bet into me I'd just call. But if I left 6th at 3 bets I'm not sure if I put in a raise
Old 05-25-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jon can string them ther' words 'gether much bett'r dan me.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 12:36 PM

I think if you want to play that, which probably isn't that bad, you need to raise him to try to get it heads up. Don't know if this has been said before, I need to go work...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:32 AM

I think your hand is well worth playing on third street. You guys play KQJ, don't you? Well, this hand has exactly the same chance of making a straight. There's a good chance that you have three over-cards to the maniac's alleged pair. I think calling is fine, and I think raising to get it heads-up is fine, too.

Fourth street you should probably let it go. Fifth you might want to let it go too. I think you did OK on sixth and seventh, but obviously it would have been better if you hadn't stuck around that long.