Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: First Big Table Experience Analysis Comments Please

I don't play anywhere near this level but this play is absurd. If the blinds are only 5/10 and opening bets are easily 10-20bb, then why play anything but Aces, Kings, and AK? The blinds are absurdly small in relation to the average pot size. Why are you making such an insane bet with a hand as speculative as ATs?

If these people are willing to call huge bets preflop with these pitifully (in relation) sized blinds, then take advantage of their horrible mistakes by getting them to call your best holdings. Why gamble it up with crap hands, you have a huge edge on all these guys, and instead of taking it you are trading it for raising absurd amounts with hands that are unlikely to do anything but give you a headache.

I understand this strategy is boring. But the second you start playing poker for enjoyment instead of profit I fail to see how that doesn't make a person addicted to gambling.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What should I take from this other than I read the hand right and lost a large chuck of my bank roll. Sit down with more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play these stakes if this is "a large chunk of your BR". You took a unfortunate bad beat on the river but you need to play at a level where you can keep playing after the bad beat and it not affect your game.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:57 AM

I agree that the raise was to big, but ask yourself why did this guy call w 97 off? It might be because he has seen how you play and figures he can out play you after the flop with position. (not being a dick, just commenting on your raise check and fold history)

I've played in a few games like this where the blinds are meaningless, and the way to play is to try and see cheap flops w pairs and hit sets, or bet your premium hands strong. I usually win 1/3 of my money from timely bluffs, continuation bets, position plays etc. and 2/3 from having the best hand. In games like this i make 100% of my money from having the best hand. Why gamble when you can get paid off evrytime with the nuts?