Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Playing first 7stud HL and Omaha HL tourneys .. advice pls!

Gentlemen,

it won't be long before I'll be playing my first 7 stud hi/lo and omaha hi/lo tourneys - both limit - and, well, though being at least competent tournament player, I know next to nothing about either tourneys. About all I have is a decent grasp on starting hands for O8 HL and that is IT.

Any advice, greatly appreciated [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

M.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Playing first 7stud HL and Omaha HL tourneys .. advice pls!

first off, stud h/l is a pretty crappy tournament game because there is so much jamming it becomes a huge luck game in a tournament format. As for Omaha, I've played in a bunch with decent success so I'll give a couple pointers that have worked for me.
1. you still have to play solid starting hands but being a rock won't work cuz you are on a time schedule. If you have position and the pot is giving good odds you have to get in there too with anything remotely reasonable.
2. since players play extra conservatively you must respect raises in multiplayer pots. Raiser has the nuts one way or the other.
3. high only flop pots can be stolen if the pot's not too big
4. when you get real short handed you must be extra aggressive. Heads up in small blind you really need something awful to not call.
5. I tend to raise preflop with good high hands more than lows cuz you won't get much action if a high flop hits and high hands play better with less people
6. if there is lots of jamming stay out of it unless you have a monster - let the field thin itself
7. if you get to a final table type situation avoid taking on the big stacks with anything questionable. Steal from short stack blinds if they are in survival mode but beware if they pour the chips in before they have to (they've been waiting for something good). But if they are a blind and going all-in because its now or never call em with anything.