Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 04:22 PM

Default cigarrette smoking and poker

I've been a smoker most of my life, and even tho (Ithink) I enjoy it, I know it's time to quit.....obvious reasons.....health, waste of money, and I'm expecting my first child in a few months. Having attempted a few quits in my life(one time cold turkey for 3 years), I do know how hard it is. Another concern I have is how the withdrawal process will affect my poker game.....in terms of my patience, and dealing with bad beats, etc. Whether it's reality or not, I do feel a smoke break helps settle me down and get away from the table(I don't smoke in my apartment)during a bad run. Has anyone attempted this endeavor, and have any suggestions? Did you stop or seriously limit your time at the tables until you get out of the woods?
Also, any suggestions on methods, say, a nicotine substitute(Patch, gum) vs stop smoking pills(Wellbutren, etc)
thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: cigarrette smoking and poker

I just quit after 13 years, and I decided it would be a good idea not to play for the first two weeks. I had no patience and a horrible temper. Not good for poker. I tried nicotine gum for really bad cravings, and it seems to have done the trick. It tastes awfull so I didn't really get used to it. good luck
Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 PM

thanks...my thinking is that it might be a good idea to set poker aside while I get thru the tough part. Thats a bad tilting session waiting to happen.....
Tried that gum...it's horrible...like you got pepper spray in the back of your throat.....
Old 05-24-2005, 06:42 PM

one the best things about life as that you die. why put yourself through the torment of quitting smoking when you could get run over by a car or something tommorow?

Also, smoking while you play is said to please the poker gods. The indians would smoke tobacco and watch as the smoke would rise like a spirit to the heavens. Their God was a hip kind of God that appreciated tobacco smoke. Poker Gods love people that smoke and drink and do drugs and stuff.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:50 PM

nice post.....it's not like I think I'll be cheating death by quitting, just don't want to go the painful, lung cancer route. Also, the money wasted is crazy
Old 05-24-2005, 08:13 PM

I sent a good friend of mine to an accupuncture doctor that I golf with. True Korean doctor. Sixth generation accupuncture DR. He had one treatment and has not had a cigarette since. 12yrs. He tried everything and was desperate. He doesnt know if he quit because of the needles and he has a phobia of them or because of the treatment.I can give more info if interested
Old 05-24-2005, 08:38 PM

I had only minimal trouble quitting a 1.5 pack/day 40 year old habit, but I don't recommend my method. I visited my mother, dying of cancer. (She smoked all her life.)

IMO, the trick is to quit, rather than "try to quit". The karate master doesn't "try to break the brick". You have to become absolutely committed.

If you continue to smoke, your child is much more likely to grow up to be a smoker, even if you never smoke in the home. This alone should be motivation enough.

Good luck.

GG
Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 PM

That [censored] was on the news here last night.

It's called auriculotherapy. I found a local chinese doctor who performs it and it's $73 for the first session and $60 per session needed after that (1-6 total sessions for most people). I think I'm going to give that a try in a week or two.

Who woulda thunk sticking needles in your ears would make you quit smoking.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 AM

Thanks....Vey good point....yeah, my son is the #1 reason why I want to stop. Actually, what I want is to be a normal, non-smoking individual.....what I don't want is to actually have to stop smoking (if that makes any sense...)
I'll look into the accupuncture thing...sounds interesting
Old 05-25-2005, 02:34 AM

The gum works great. Just buy A LOT...