Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Why is limit HE more popular than no-limit?

[ QUOTE ]
It is counter-intuitive but I've played limit for 3 years and NL for almost 2 years. My swings are drastically less in the NL form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawrence
Old 05-24-2005, 12:06 AM

I started playing NL 1-2 (200 max) with a short-buyin.
either variance is crazy or NL is my game, it's been very very profitable this week.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:18 AM

Elaborate on how they are boring... I am confused by all of this as I would think people would think NL is more exciting.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:13 PM

I agree with him, though I'd express the "it sucks" part differently. Online cash game NL is incredibly boring. Waiting for big hands to trap with just seems like a less complex skill than you need to play limit well.

I love NL tourneys, but live is much better than online for those, too.

The truth is, for most of us who have been playing poker for a long time, limit was the only game in town, so that's where we built our skills.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiting for big hands to trap with just seems like a less complex skill than you need to play limit well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is where the "it sucks" part comes from. At the lower limits (full table) this is a decent strategy and works, but it is pretty boring. At 3/6 and above, I find that it doesn't work that well. You have to create a strategy that hides what you have well and extract max value on good hands / bluff or lose less with bad ones. The whole shania concept becomes huge and changing gears based on how others percieve you is important. I find all of that stuff fascinating and fun to do. Tricking opponents out of lots of money is very fun, where at limit you have to figure out how to protect your hands and extract max value from your good hands. There is some creativity there and it's an interesting game, just not as fun for me as NL (and more frustrating).
Old 05-24-2005, 03:06 PM

This is the stupidest comment.
Obviously if you are saying that NL sucks and is boring than you are one of the typical multi-tablers who plays nothing but Limit. For anyone else who has ever actually played NL for more than say a 10 dollar home game buy in, they can tell you that it is the greatest of all the poker games.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the stupidest comment.
Obviously if you are saying that NL sucks and is boring than you are one of the typical multi-tablers who plays nothing but Limit. For anyone else who has ever actually played NL for more than say a 10 dollar home game buy in, they can tell you that it is the greatest of all the poker games.

[/ QUOTE ]

how many hands you got in NL? More than 50k?

Or pulling opinions out of your ass?

NL is [censored] boring. I played it yesterday, for half an hour... That was the most tedious [censored] thing I've ever sat through. I proceeded to raise all in 5 times in a row, have everyone fold all but last time when a guy called me with JJ.

Bottom line is, NL is a lame game. People only play the most premium hands and they only proceed past the flop if they've flop the nuts, close to the nuts, or a set.

If you think I am kidding, go play some NL100 on party. It' ssuch a boring [censored] game I cannot believe anyone plays it. Raise to 2$ OOPS EVERYONE FOLDS. Raise to 3$, OH [censored] THAT'S AK!

Obviously... because who actually plays anything but that and TT-AA... Oh yes there's also 55-99 and AQ and possibly AJ...

NL feels like the shitty tight passive this site promotes a lot. It's as if every shitty limit player from 2+2 with 13VPIP wondering why he can't beat 5/10sh goes over to NL and plays that...

yes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think I am kidding, go play some NL100 on party. It' ssuch a boring [censored] game I cannot believe anyone plays it. Raise to 2$ OOPS EVERYONE FOLDS. Raise to 3$, OH [censored] THAT'S AK!

Obviously... because who actually plays anything but that and TT-AA... Oh yes there's also 55-99 and AQ and possibly AJ...

NL feels like the shitty tight passive this site promotes a lot. It's as if every shitty limit player from 2+2 with 13VPIP wondering why he can't beat 5/10sh goes over to NL and plays that...

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody needs a hug [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

You don't sound like a winning player at any limit... NL games play looser than a lot of limit games I've seen. Try some deeper stacked NL.... and try some suited connectors
Old 05-24-2005, 05:00 PM

This is one reason why Limit is more popular. Doyle Brunson says that in SS2.
" A lot limit players and IM talking about the very best limit players now, just cant play no-limit. They dont have the heart for it"

This is all true. People just crying how boring no limit is.
Well try some shorthanded or heads up. When you make one big mistake in nl, u can lose hole stack. In limit, big mistake cost you couple BB.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NL is [censored] boring. I played it yesterday, for half an hour... That was the most tedious [censored] thing I've ever sat through. I proceeded to raise all in 5 times in a row, have everyone fold all but last time when a guy called me with JJ.

Bottom line is, NL is a lame game. People only play the most premium hands and they only proceed past the flop if they've flop the nuts, close to the nuts, or a set.

yes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 100NL game at Party is not nearly as tight as you are making it seem. I play 6max, and much of the time 4 people are in preflop.
The games are often much looser and profitable than comparable limit games (3-6, 5-10).

I have played about 35k hands at 100NL, and a fair amount at various low limits as well. I find multitabling NL much more fun for a few reasons:
1. I play more hands than limit, looking to flop a big hand and break people (its more fun to be able to play more drawing hands from middle positions).
2. People bluff more, and much less effectively. This beats the hell out of check raising the turn (and its much more profitable).
3. I let go of more hands after the flop (more than limit), so I am involved in hands less often and can therefore concentrate on other hands or on my reads of other players. Basically what I mean is that I can focus better on the games and the players as opposed to mechanically playing.

I really play limit to tighten up my NL play, practice calculating odds, and make deposit bonuses. It's much more straightforward, and it is sorta boring to me.

All this being said, I definitely could NOT play only 1 table of NL because it would be really boring (I usually play around 3). Also, the limit I play is usually 3-6, sometimes playing 5-10. I imagine 30-60 is a whole different ballgame in terms of making plays and reading players.

2 cents,
Matt