Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: ATo versus. a donkey donk

Standard.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:30 AM

You don't have to change reads at any point to play it out this way. The turn is a good bet even if he thinks he may be against a K. His hand is worth showing down. He isn't getting checkraised very often at all. A K will bet the river if he checks anyway. He gains more when the opponent is in fact on some sort of draw or weaker made hand by betting the turn. There's no point in this hand (or most hands, for that matter) that he can feel with certainty that the opponent holds one certain hand. The opponent has a range of hands and this line is best against that range, IMO.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to change reads at any point to play it out this way. The turn is a good bet even if he thinks he may be against a K. His hand is worth showing down. He isn't getting checkraised very often at all. A K will bet the river if he checks anyway. He gains more when the opponent is in fact on some sort of draw or weaker made hand by betting the turn. There's no point in this hand (or most hands, for that matter) that he can feel with certainty that the opponent holds one certain hand. The opponent has a range of hands and this line is best against that range, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never disagreed with this line. I just wanted to point out that I think many players make a mistake of puting players on a hand or range of hands, and change those reads sometimes for the wrong reason. I think many small stakes players change there reads based on what their wish list is instead likely hands for their opponent...

However, since you mentioned it, at some point, if you are pretty sure your opponent has a king, do you still think a turn bet is correct? I assume at some point it wouldn't be....it wouldn't be, no?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:07 AM

I think the turn bet AND river bet are necessary here. Betting the turn allows for the cheap showdown, and if you check - opponent WILL bet out any non-threatening river card (now, do you call it because maybe he is bluffing a busted draw or do you fold to the potential King?). Also, the river bet is a must here with 2 pair when checked to. Opponent will not bet out a King high he has been calling down with the whole time, as soon as the Ace appears - but he will definetly bet out his str8 draw that hit once that A appears (putting you on a K or 2 pair given the action). Opponent has no reason to think you will bet this river if checked to unless you:

1. Have a str8 beat/tied
2. Missed your draw and are bluffing
3. Made AT LEAST 2 pair.

If he puts you on a big King (seeing how the action went), he needs to bet out this river when he makes his draw. The chances of you being afraid of the Ace and checking behind are too great.