Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: impossible to beat cardoorm 2/4 game?

[ QUOTE ]
It's more a question of idle curiosity. The nearest B&M is over 2 hours away, so I pretty much only play for recreation, and then only $2/4 since I typically only have a couple hundred in cash on me.

It's a guilty admission, but I confess I've always felt slightly superior to the blackjack players, the majority of whom are pouring money into a -EV game. The rake calculation above made me reconsider whether or not I was doing the same by playing 2/4.

[ QUOTE ]
My plan and my suggestion to you is to move up quickly to a limit which provides a nice compromise between win rate and risk to your bankroll (most likely $10-20). If you've got 20k hands behind you online, I'd think you're more than ready to play $6-12 hammered and $10-20 sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of the quality of play, I think it'll be a little longer before my comfort level rises to the point where winning or losing several grand in a single session becomes old hat [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a very very rare B&M session that ends up +/- 150-250BB
Old 05-23-2005, 04:54 PM

Rule of thumb given in some books indicate a reasonably tight player might see one std dev (68% of the time) of 10-12bb/hr (it's what I've seen, so I believe), two std dev (95% of the time) 20-24bb/hr. I tend to set a 20 bb limit on loses, but I've never seen more than +/-15bb for an entire session of four to eight hrs. One bit of advice, unless you've got a good track record online playing shorthanded I'd suggest full tables to start with. For $6-12, buy in for $240-340 (200-300 in red, 40 white), call it a nite or change tables if you ever get down $200. For $10-20, buy in for $400-500 walk if you get down $350-450. Test the waters, you might be surprised how soft the games are.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen more than +/-15bb for an entire session of four to eight hrs

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee that's AMAZING you are the BEST.
Sorry that was overly sarcastic, only meant to post to say that other people may see larger swings.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen more than +/-15bb for an entire session of four to eight hrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got to be missing something here. It's not uncommon for me to do twice this in either direction (more frequently + thank goodness). 3 BB/hr * 8 hours = 24 BB's. Raise. Raise. Raise.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:19 AM

The party .50/1.00 games are tougher than B&M 2/4 games.

outs
Old 05-24-2005, 10:27 AM

As I'd said, my experience is limited, but: 90% of the games I've seen from $2-4 to $6-12 have been EXTREMELY passive (almost silly passive), and unless you're playing with retards you might want to call it a nite at -20bb or -25bb. Don't expect to regurlarly drop $200 at $2-4.
I'll defer any further discussion to those with greater experience. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 10:48 AM

I typically play 3/6 or 4/8 as I play B&M moreso for recreation than for bankroll building. I enjoy having a few (okay a lot) of beers and the social aspect.

I've had two sessions where I've gone completely card dead and taken 2-3 hours to win a hand or two.. it's crazy. During those times it's not uncommon to drop a rack or more of white between blinds and hands that lost their luster after a flop.

Typically if I'm stuck 2 racks I'll call it a night.... but this has only happened twice. More often than not I'll finish within the +/- 1 Rack range at these limits (more often than not +)
Old 05-24-2005, 11:09 AM

14 hours of playing 2/4 in Vegas this weekend and ended up -70bb. My opponents seemed to have the uncanny ability to flop 2 pair whenever they were against me... funny how that happens. Went last 4 hours without winning a pot. I have very minimal B&M experience though so I'm not sure how often this happens.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:29 AM

This happens a lot. At a live $2/$4 game, your winrate will never get any better, but the variance is so high that it's tough to figure it out unless you keep records. This is my experience at $2/$4. I've beat the games I've played in for around 3-4 bets an hour, which is good, but it's hardly consistent.

Usually I'll leave a session up 200 or down 100, and the difference is my winrate. Crazy games.