Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Over played JJ?

46 players left. Top 40 get paid. I have an average stack.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (9 handed) converter

Button (t12599)
SB (t13598)
Hero (t6542)
UTG (t1069)
UTG+1 (t4223)
MP1 (t14138)
MP2 (t8873)
MP3 (t11379)
CO (t4171)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls t300, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls t900.

Flop: (t2700) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t900</font>, Hero raises all-in [t5642]

I had not been at that table for very long so no good read on sb but there was some table talk about him getting lucky on the river a few times.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Over played JJ?

I don't know what you could have done differently.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:49 PM

I like the raise preflop. However, there was simply no reason to push here. Let me guess, he showed you AA or KK? Anyway, it doesn't matter - you're making a bet that will only be called by hands that beat you. How do you know he doesn't have AA,KK,44,55, or 99, or even 87s? That's right, you don't. If he has A9 or a drawing hand, he's certainly not calling here. The whole point is to put him in a position to make a mistake. Once he bets at this pot, raise him to t2,500 or maybe a little more. But that's really all that's necessary. If he comes over the top you can get away from the hand - most certainly you are beaten. You'll be down to about 11BB's, but at least you'll still be in the tourney.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the raise preflop. However, there was simply no reason to push here. Let me guess, he showed you AA or KK? Anyway, it doesn't matter - you're making a bet that will only be called by hands that beat you. How do you know he doesn't have AA,KK,44,55, or 99, or even 87s? That's right, you don't. If he has A9 or a drawing hand, he's certainly not calling here. The whole point is to put him in a position to make a mistake. Once he bets at this pot, raise him to t2,500 or maybe a little more. But that's really all that's necessary. If he comes over the top you can get away from the hand - most certainly you are beaten. You'll be down to about 11BB's, but at least you'll still be in the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, the statement that this guy has "gotten lucky" implies that he's made some bad calls and has drawn out on people. No reason to think he wouldn't make a bad call here.

If you make a raise to T2500 that's about half of his stack. No way I'm folding to a re-raise based on the range of hands that he could have. The pot is at T3600. A normal raise would be to around T4000. The bottom line is that he's pot committed by making any raise so why not just push now.

If you can live on the edge a little I don't mind calling the flop and pushing the turn. You might extract a few more chips here. But if he's a loose caller I see no reason to not push the flop.