Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 06:27 AM

Default What does it mean to \"stop and go\"?

I see this all the time in tournaments forum, and I think I understand what it means, but what does it refer to exactly? And when should it be used?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: What does it mean to \"stop and go\"?

Once answered, this should go in the FAQ.

(The FAQ is soon to move to PokerWiki, where any of us will be able to add it ourselves.)

Others can give a better answer; I always seem to get it wrong, but there should be 500,000 old threads about it.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:50 PM

callling a raise out of position - rather than reraising all-in, with full intention of going all-in on any flop.

i'm sure others could explain the psychology more indepth -- but where villian might feel his hand is adequate to call a reraise all-in preflop, he will likely be much more willing to give it up facing a) perhaps a missed flop, and b) an all-in from hero, who has already called his PF raise ["damn, guy must of really had something" mentality].

more of a late tourney - high blinds - bubble play opportunity. when villian will be faced with elimination (or close to it) when making his decision to call your push.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:05 AM

I basically agree with bluefeet. If you do a search, you're going to see a lot of examples that are not actual "stop and goes" - but replies usually call those out.

It's basically just calling a raise and then betting into the raiser later. People have been doing it for ages before it had a catchy name.

I saw one poster explain that a stop and go can be effective when you think you have the best hand preflop but don't have enough fold equity to justify pushing all-in (in NL, obviously). An example would be in a tournament where you are a shortish stack against a very large stack. If you push all-in preflop, you'll likely be called, so you just call a raise. By leading out postflop you have more leverage if the flop missed the big stack.

I'm not really a no limit player, and this seems to be a NL concept really. We use the same tactic in limit, but it's usually as a bluff or semi-bluff when a scare card comes.

Regards,

T