Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 AM

Default OT: Computer help Data Execution Prevention WinXPProSP2

wtf?

Suddenly everytime I open "my computer" I get a warning that "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this progam. Name: Windows Explorer Publisher: Microsoft Corporation" Which leads to the "send error report" prompt which I always close because I feel sorry for the person that needs to read all these useless error reports windows somehow wants to send to him.

I did the usual virus scan, reboot, stick another needle in my bill gates voodoo doll, etc. and nothing seems to be amiss (although the problem continues). I suspect this is just a typical windows ploy of trying to "protect me" by "not letting me do a goddamn thing on my comptuer", but I wanted to make sure it I wasn't missing something that could be dangerous before I disabled this (stupid? useless?) DEP thing...

Thanks,
J
Old 05-23-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: OT: Computer help Data Execution Prevention WinXPProSP2

Hi Jason,

I have absolutely no clue. However, I just saw this ultra-boring title, and decided to try and help you get more than the 4 views it had when I opened it as it was the 25th-30th post or so. Long-winded way of saying BUMP.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:54 AM

Although it's probably nothing, it seems weird that the Explorer process should trip the DEP. If you got an XP SP2 disc, I'd try to make a repair install. Boot up on the CD, start to install XP on your existing system partition, go for the repair install instead of a full install when prompted.

Oh btw, you can disable the automatic "send error report" fuction if you go into the properties of "My Computer" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2005, 05:32 AM

Don't disable it.

DEP can help block a class of security intrusions. Specifically, DEP can help block a malicious program in which a virus or other type of attack has injected a process with additional code and then tries to run the injected code. On a system with DEP, execution of the injected code causes an exception. Software-enforced DEP can help block programs that take advantage of exception-handling mechanisms in Windows.

Basically it makes sure that your computer doesn't do dumb sh1t when something on your computer is telling it to do dumb sh1t.

My guess is you have some sort of virus, or a broken DLL that was used by some sort of spyware/adware.

Start by doing everything
here.

It's a lot of work I know, but you get the peace of mind of being almost 99.9% sure you have no spyware or virus left on your computer. If the problem persistss, PM me and I'll be happy to do a little more research.