Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Help with hand

Help - did I make a mistake here -
Playing six handed 10/20 - UTG joined game recently -
Game seems a little loose but not crazy - given its six handed

I am dealt JhJd
UTG raises -
I reraise -
Flop - Ts, Jc, 8h ]
UTG -check, I bet, UTG raises, I re-raise, UTG calls -
Turn 5h
UTG check, I bet, he calls
River 7d
UTG bets, idiot that I am I raise - he reraises
and shows 9h8d

Clearly I should have just called the river but did I make other mistakes - It seems like very loose poker to me to raise with 98o from early position.
Should I have played anthing but the river differently.
I put him on two pair J10 or two pair - I guess the check raise on the flop was for the free card?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:49 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Help with hand

i would have played the rest the same probably, unless i thought he would actually call a turn raise with rags too.

the reason you should consider not raising the river is there are few hands he can actually hold that can call a raise back. conventional wisdom would say most of the time he'd fold, and the other times he'd 3bet you with a better hand. it really depends on who he is, but since you don't know, a call seems more correct.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:59 PM

Should I have played anthing but the river differently.

Why?
Old 04-25-2003, 04:28 AM

hi samz
the UTG raises in with 98o? wow,...well the hand that he may have had was 99 or less likely A9s. these would be reasonable holdings in a very loose game. so, although you must strongly consider those possibilities, you have good grounds for making the raise with your powerful hand; probably the strongest hand shown down in a while here.

however, the danger signal was your opponent's sudden reversal on the river after the fourth straight card hit on the right flank. with that in mind, you still had a value raise against this opponent. i think he may have shown down a hand that you thought was a bluff with a question mark asking whether your opponent may have made what in his opinion was a value bet. you probably went with your gut instinct, not your read because your read was wrong, your raise was likely correct. also samz notice how you raised and reraised him early on. that tells me you've caught him being tricky before and you're trying to make him more predictable now. when you do that, give more consideration to slowing down a little with a strong but not invincible hand.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:30 AM

hi astro
that is very correct. that's another good reason to call.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:01 PM

when you get check-raised on the flop, you can often raise on the turn instead of re-raising the flop. His check-raise is a strong indication that he wil bet the turn again, allowing you o get an extra small bet in the pot.

This is not a clear cut decision, and it depends a lot on the opponent - will they disregard your flop raises, but lay down a pair to a turn raise? Etc.

I would say absent opponent info, I would usually raise the turn once check-raised on the flop in a hand such as this, but there are arguments for both lines of play.