Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2003, 02:04 PM

Default Semi-bluffing on turn

In no-limit tournaments i sometimes get in the situation where having semi-bluffed the flop in ealry position with a 4-flush, only the turn is a blank.

My question is what do you do know? Having commited a sizable amount of your stack you can now go in for another semi-bluff, but will definetly now not welcome a call.

Or do you check to try and get a free card, only this may encourage the opponent to make a big bluff forcing me to fold.

So my question is, what do you do? Presuming that the opponent is unknown to you, you have already put a large amount into the pot, it is heads-up, and you are first to act.

Thanks,

Phil.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Semi-bluffing on turn

The only answer here, it is time to play poker.

You have to gauge from your experience how likely it is that the opponent will fold if you bet the turn, and how likely it is they will check behind if you check. If they will fold enough, you must bet, and if they will check enough, it's fine to check.

But to answer your question in the abstract is impossible. It depends entirely upon the opponent and the situation.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 04-23-2003, 09:05 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Totally agree with Fossilman.

I will add however, something that the late Stu said once: Everybody can fire a shot once. the great ones fire twice.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:18 PM

I've struggled with this myself in my limited big-bet play. Only thing I can add is, I try hard to avoid the situation where I am out-of-position with a draw with a lot of my stack already comitted and 1 card to come. This is one reason to avoid building likely drawing hands preflop up front.

Assuming I have an out-of-position 4-flush on the flop, if betting and getting called would put me in a difficult spot if I miss on the turn, I might check the flop. If it gets checked thru I get a free card. If the flop is bet, depending on the pot size and my opponent, I might check-raise all-in hoping for a fold. My odds will be slightly less than what the pot is offering if I am called, but I'm hoping that will be more than compensated for by the chance of a fold plus a call with a lesser flush draw etc. Just an idea.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:26 PM

If i put in a reasonable size bet on the flop(assuming it is not a very threatening board, just the flush draw) and was just called by that one guy he is telling by just calling that he doesnt have a very strong hand. My move on the turn would definitely be an all-in. By doing this you are putting the heat on him and putting him to a decision for all his chips.

"the key to No Limit is to put a man to a decision for all his chips"
-Doyle Brunson
Old 04-25-2003, 08:17 AM

I agree with Ross. He sounds like a typical weak caller - a good top pair or better would normally raise your flop bet in that situation , and a slowplay is unlikely with the flush draw out there. He either has top pair with a poor kicker, a draw, or middle/low pair, so a solid follow through bet on the turn should see him off.

Obviously this is all subject to the particular circumstances of the hand & opponent, but that's my initial feeling about how to play the hand.