Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 03:01 PM

Default 7 card stud

I read all the books on 7 card stud and play a tight aggressive game. I'm getting buried the last four months. I only start with quality hands and when I get a good hand I get drawn out on. Is it unusual to go four months without a winning session?
Old 05-22-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: 7 card stud

There is a bit of lack of information here.

1. What books have you read?
2. What stakes do you play? Have you moved up? What did you play?
3. There is a difference between reading all the books and remembering what you read an applying it. This wasn't meant to be mean, some people just don't get some things that they read, and may apply it wrong, losing money.

You should posts some hands you have played to see what mistakes you are making. Depening on how much you play per day or week, 4 months is alot of cash lost.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:23 PM

Hi,
I've read numerous times Roy West'd Low Limit 7 card stud. Also Sklansky 7 Card stud for advanced players. I won for a couple of months at low limit and thought I was ready to move up but then I got in a losing streak and am wary of moving up. I have been getting real unadulterated trash for cards for 4 months now.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:31 PM

what limits are you playing? where?
Old 05-22-2005, 03:34 PM

Playing 1-3 at Foxwoods-0.50 ante. The antes are eating up my bankroll also. How much should I loosen up or should I?
Old 05-22-2005, 03:38 PM

Hi,
I remember the info pretty well and refresh my memory periodically.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:56 PM

this is just my opinion and is way open to dispute but how tight or loose you play should depend in part on two things the most.
1, how big the ante is compared to the bring in bet and future bets. in your game the ante is half the bring in bet, right? and you said the ante is killing you, so that would lead me to believe that you should loosen up a bit, but you didnt specify how many hands your playing now, you only said "tight" which is kinda subjective.
2. how loose or tight your opponents play. if your opponents are seeing 4th with every hand then you need not be so tight. if they are very tight you too should play tighter. i assume that in a game like that the ppponents are pretty loose. One of the things i concentrate on when playing with chasers is to knock them out when i have a hand i like. Doing this may not always be easy and you might need to employ checkraises or very aggressive betting. But slowplaying or check calling is not a good strategy for loose games. write back with how your style is after 3rd or post some hands and maybe it will show where you are making mistakes, if you are.
Oh yeah, i really like the stud section in supersystem. I like how it talks about thinning the field which is very important in small loose games. Good Luck, Augie
Old 05-22-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 1-3 at Foxwoods-0.50 ante. The antes are eating up my bankroll also. How much should I loosen up or should I?

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems like a very high variance game, so I could see going on a fairly long downswing. This game is probably barely beatable after the rake and tips...That being said, I dont see how a solid TAG player could not have a single winning session in 4 months. How many seesions are we talking about here, 5 or 50?
Old 05-22-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if your opponents are seeing 4th with every hand then you need not be so tight. if they are very tight you too should play tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about this statement. If everyone is very loose, I would think you would want to wait until you have a strong holding so that it can hold up against multiple players. When everyone is playing tight you can be looser and push people around a bit.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:11 PM

1-3 with a .50 ante is pretty rough.