Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 09:58 PM

Default KK against a LAG 5/5/10

5/5/10, game isn't good except for two live ones, 1 loose calling station and one super lag. I have about 1600 at the beginning of this hand, lag has me covered. A few limpers to me and I make it 60 to go out of the SB with KK. Lag calls, heads up.

Flop comes 456r

I bet 100, lag makes it 300.

If you are 90% positive that LAG does not have a set or straight, what is the right play? twopair/draw/overpair are more likely, twopair/draw more so than an overpair.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: KK against a LAG 5/5/10

These are always tough spots - I usually like to call then lead a non scare card and go from there. This keeps the pot reasonable, kills his odds, and hopefully freezes him from bluff-raising the turn w/out a hand that beats yours. If he's really likely to bluff a lot, you could then check / call the river as well.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Fair enough, I call, turn is a 3, I check, lag bets 500, action?

I think the right play would have been check/call the whole way....
Old 05-21-2005, 11:31 PM

Check/raise allin on the turn.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:12 AM

Although there's no doubt this lag is going to play only a draw with a hand like A7s this way, this is a horrible flop for your hand. If you do call the raise on the flop, any ace or another nearby straight card could make his hand, and if he too has an overpair to the board you will not realize that he hit a set on the turn or river. This is all besides the fact that as a lag he could easily have flopped a straight or two pair with the types of hands he would call a pre-flop raise with. Unless you have reasons to strongly believe he is bluffing with overcards or a draw, you can find better spots to take his money. I would have checked the flop and perhaps called a bet and then decided based on the turn, but in the situation described I would have folded to his raise. I am a strong believer in Doyle's advice that with AA or KK you are usually either going to win a small pot or lose a big one if you cannot get allin pre-flop.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:56 PM

In my opinion, which probably doesn't mean much, but I would put villian on either 2 pair or the already made straight, and perhaps the draw depending on the kind of player he is. The flop seems very coordinated for a LAG and the turn makes it worse. I wouldn't take this hand too far with resistance.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:16 PM

What is your image at the table?
This is extremely important in such a situation.
I play as an Over aggro LAG, and I make a lotta moves based on the other guys image.
For example, if your pfr puts u on a big pair, and he knows that you view him as a lag, this is a very scary flop for you, and he might be successful in having u lay it down.
If i were in a similar situation i would call the flop CR all in on blankish turn(in the absence of reads or tells). To insert a cliche, "You have to fight fire with fire"
Old 05-22-2005, 04:27 PM

Agreed, at the time, I had a tight image, though I normally play loose/aggresive in late position. At the time, this raise was clear as day that I had a big pair. When I normally get settled into a game, depending on who limped, I raise a variety of hands out of the blinds so it wouldn't be as easy. As it stands, it's easy for him to take this pot away from me if I don't have the sack (which I didn't/don't) to check-raise all in on the turn.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:05 PM

Your call on the flop means what?
Calling on the turn means what? You don't believe he hit the board at all and you are willing to put 1/2 your stack in with that board and one card which has a 4% chance of improving you to a still possibly beaten hand coming?

You can fold, I pop him again on the flop.

topout