Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2003, 08:25 AM

Default Ram-Jamming preflop with a monster board vs a limp-reraiser!

I was looking through some hand histories and found this interesting one:

2/4 online - a soft game but some serious ram-jamming if the pot gets big.
I'm in LMP with K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

UTG limps, MP limps, I raise, button cold calls, UTG calls, MP 3 bets [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] !, I cap it....button and UTG fold (phew! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

Just the lovely couple to the flop:
A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

MP comes out betting, (I'm thinking quad Aces? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] couldn't be...matter as well test it), I raise, MP RE-RAISES! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] , I call thinking I'll pay to see the flopped quad aces and live to tell about it, however, even Axs has got me pinned...which would be a limp-re-raise-ram-jam for this table (who knows maybe a set of 6s?...nah).

Turn: 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] [A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]]

MP bets, (now I notice that MP is short stacked [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] ...so even if I'm looking at Quad-mania it's only going to cost me 2 more BBs to see it), I call.

River: 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] [6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]]

MP bets all-in, I call.

How did it turn out?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Ram-Jamming preflop with a monster board vs a limp-reraiser!

You split with another KK, beat QQ, or lost to 22.

FWIW, I would fold to the reraise on the flop. If he doesn't have an Ace so be it.

-- Homer
Old 04-24-2003, 10:10 AM

He could easily have you beat,I would definately fold on the flop after his raise.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:05 AM

I would definitely fold after seeing that re-raise post-flop.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:03 PM

I think the other posters are giving this guy WAY too much credit. I am assuming he is slightly loose and overaggressive, as would typify the usual player in a ram and jam game. Given you are heads up (great preflop play btw, and you got this things heads up, which makes it much easier) it's hard to lay this down for one more bet on the flop.

Here's what I would do from the flop on. He could have trips, a smaller pocket pair, or nothing (in general). Small chance of 66, miniscule chance of AA. Based on what you are telling me I can't tell which- for instance, is this a GOOD player who is limp-reraising, or just another overaggressive player, etc? Either way, I think this breaks down into a clear "either you're way ahead or way behind situation".

The fact that this player is almost all- in further complicates matters b/c he may have a hand which he feels has show down value, but not much, and instead of saving some chips (which he would do if he had more), he might have just given up and said "what the hell, let's see if my QQ is good" or some such.

In any case, based on this information, I'd call him on every street. If you're way ahead (say he has QQ) you let him bluff off his chips. If you're way behind you get the cheapest showdown possible.

I'd only raise the flop if I could reliably fold to a reraise, indicating trips or better. I don't think you can do that here. The other posters seem to think you can. As it is, you raised the flop and called the reraise, but then called him down anyways, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm guessing he showed you a smaller pocket pair, and you took it down.

Leon
Old 04-24-2003, 01:04 PM

As for my flop play:
One thing I tend to do, is rip it up in the early rounds when I have a hand like this [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] , I like to see what the other player is made of [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ...I just can't call...I felt as though I had the best hand and I posted this hand to see what others would do...so having said that...

Would anyone fold to his bet on the flop with 12.5 SBs in the pot? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Or just switch into call down mode? [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I didn't know much about this player to lay-it-down after the flop re-raise (and if I noticed that he was short-stacked on the flop, I wouldn't even have hesitated to call (maybe even capped it! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Sometimes I think I should be more passive, however, my 'weak-tight'-stage was so rough on my BR, I REFUSE [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] !

Truefully, Axs is what scared me the most [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] ! I've seen plenty of these fish RAM IT preflop when the action gets going (even seen Kxs, Qxs, Jxs, ram-it and I'm sure some of you have too!) [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks the replies so far, hope you enjoyed my post. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2003, 01:41 PM

I like your member name, us Celtics have to stay together. Now all we need is for someone to get 00InhaleToTheChief00 and we'll be all set. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2003, 02:29 PM

"One thing I tend to do, is rip it up in the early rounds when I have a hand like this , I like to see what the other player is made of ...I just can't call..."

Yes, I agree, I GENERALLY pound with big pairs too. But you need to have some idea what you're going to do if "X" happens. In this case he reraised and you ended up calling down anyways. This case is one of those exceptions where it might be correct to be a little more passive.

"Truefully, Axs is what scared me the most ! I've seen plenty of these fish RAM IT preflop when the action gets going (even seen Kxs, Qxs, Jxs, ram-it and I'm sure some of you have too!)"

Yes, I have seen it too. And everything you just said above points to a difficulty stationing this player on a hand. Ergo, you CANNOT be certain you have the best hand, YET there's a good chance you do. So, again, I think call-down here is the best strategy.

How did the hand turn out?

Leon
Old 04-24-2003, 02:59 PM

Default RESULTS

MP turned over the QQ and my KK took it down!

Homer and leon were right on! However, Homer...22? Where did you come up with that? And hey, Truth, nice name but no reply on my play?

InhaleToTheChief!

Truth, I used to bartend in Boston...I've got some stories about the 80's Celtics you wouldn't believe from a premier club owner during that era.

Three MVP's in a row and a pack of Marlboro's a day - BELIEVE IT [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ! (why did Larry leave coaching and the Pacers?)