Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Stuey\'s winning percentage.

Just read the articles about Stu Unger in Card Player. I realize that he had drug issues, but if he won 10 out of 30 tourneys he entered, you have to wonder why Stuey had to practically beg Billy Baxter to back him in the 97 WSOP. A 10k investment for a 33% chance at 500k sounds pretty good. It seems that he would have backers flocking to him. Or is this hindsight?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Stuey\'s winning percentage.

[ QUOTE ]
Or is this hindsight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Before that tournament he only had a 31% win rate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Is your question why was he broke (drugs, other leaks), or why wasn't everyone willing to back him (drugs, other leaks)?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:45 PM

I guess many people would have trouble backing someone that messed up for that much money, even if they had won 2 wsops in the past.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:01 PM

Stuey was a mess at this point, basically wasted away due to drug use and many years removed from his previous tourney play. People thought he was washed up.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:37 PM

Not sure if you saw the previous article, but I believe it addressed the issue that BAxter backed Stuey in his 2nd title defense year, and stuey got sick after the 1st day or so being among the chip leaders, and ended up the the hspital for a week or so detoxing while he was blinded off just short of the money.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 PM

I'm not an expert on Stu, although I spoke with him and watched him play numerous times, but I don't remember Stu ever begging for a $10k backer. Perhaps others know better.

Stu was a good as they get in NL Hold'em tournaments. He was not so good at other forms of poker, whether tournaments or live play. In fact, like a good number of current tourny players, Stu was a loser in high-limit cash games. He was also a lifetime loser at golf, sports betting and, alas, drugs.

For most poker players, it isn't just poker that takes cash - just like any other person with a 9-5 job, life is expensive, and not everybody has a clue how to budget their cash.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]