Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: AQs - the s is for sucks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but you'd call this flop with 4 still behind us (and the PF raiser)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it's a gamble but don't always have to play raise or fold when there's a bet in front of you. Since we've established that raising doesn't really clear up any overcard outs, how does raising really increase our chances of winning?

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesn't - you're right - if you want to play you may as well call

i think folding > calling with a PF raiser checking this harmless board (opening up a check-raise) and having 3 others still to act

but i can be persuaded to think otherwise
Old 05-20-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it's a gamble but don't always have to play raise or fold when there's a bet in front of you. Since we've established that raising doesn't really clear up any overcard outs, how does raising really increase our chances of winning?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we established that at all - though I'm still listening. IMO, if we had raised on this flop we had a good chance of folding not just AK but AQ and PP's that beat us after CO's "I could have anything" bet.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we established that at all - though I'm still listening. IMO, if we had raised on this flop we had a good chance of folding not just AK but AQ and PP's that beat us after CO's "I could have anything" bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding out AK would be nice, I guess AQ too but that's not many hands plus the chances of them out there isn't too huge. What PPs are we hoping to fold out? JJ-AA isn't probably going anywhere nor is probably out there.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think folding > calling with a PF raiser checking this harmless board (opening up a check-raise) and having 3 others still to act

but i can be persuaded to think otherwise

[/ QUOTE ]

The pre-flop raiser's action on the flop is weird but when he checks, I don't think it's for the intention of check-raising his overcards or higher pocket pair.

Again it's a gamble but I'm just calling because I don't think this will be raised often. Of course if I was certain it was going to be raised, I would've folded.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Completing this is fine. You're paying 1.5 SBs to see what will be a decent pot with a good multiway hand.

Not the greatest flop, but it could be worse. With the pot odds you can safely call the two single bets. On the turn, your outs improve, but not enough to give you the equity to bet out. As it played out, I'd definitely would just check/call the river. Without a read, you have to think that BB has either slowplayed 22 or has KT.

UTG+1 had cracked aces?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding out AK would be nice, I guess AQ too but that's not many hands plus the chances of them out there isn't too huge. What PPs are we hoping to fold out? JJ-AA isn't probably going anywhere nor is probably out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking my c/r out of the small blind folds out JJ's and maybe higher though the more I think about it the more I agree they probably aren't out there as they all would have probably bet except maybe AA which is less likely since we hold an A. I do still want to give an extra nudge to fold to those holding hands like 99 or 88 or lower that might think they are good right now as well in case my Ace high is best against the CO.

Actually, I think a lot of my proclivity to raise here is to induce the T to announce itself. Not sure if that is a valid reason or not.

I don't think I would have even really considered just calling here so this discussion has been a good one for me. I'm still not sure I like it, but with the other card being an offsuit 2 I think I can see the call. If it was something more connected or suited to the TT's I still like raising.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking my c/r out of the small blind folds out JJ's and maybe higher though the more I think about it the more I agree they probably aren't out there as they all would have probably bet except maybe AA which is less likely since we hold an A. I do still want to give an extra nudge to fold to those holding hands like 99 or 88 or lower that might think they are good right now as well in case my Ace high is best against the CO.

Actually, I think a lot of my proclivity to raise here is to induce the T to announce itself. Not sure if that is a valid reason or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's very to little chance that we're winning this hand unimproved. In that case, I don't want hands like 88 or 77 to fold so that I can get some more overlay when I do hit an out.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:50 PM

Betting the turn doesn't accomplish much. I'd put your chances of taking down the pot right there at about 1%.

I play 6-max, so I'm probably too LAG minded, but here's my line.

Preflop: 3-bet.
Flop: check/call.
Turn: check/call.
River: I like betting out.. and I probably go ahead and spew a 3-bet out there too.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:00 PM

3-bet preflop
Check turn
Bet/call river