Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 11:34 AM

Default travel info for WSOP (mostly off-topic)

We've decided to turn my WSOP ME trip into a family vacation, but neither my wife nor I have ever been to Vegas so we need some reliable info.

If any of you can recommend a good kid-friendly hotel or two (or a website or other source that can provide that kind of info), I would really appreciate it. If it makes any difference, we have two girls - older one is 4 1/2 and the other one is almost 3.

Info regarding how to get the best (i.e. cheapest) fares on flights to Vegas would be appreciated as well. Are package deals with the hotels the way to go or should we book everything separately?

I realize this should probably go in another forum, but it isn't obvious to me which one it should be, so I'm just posting it here since this is where people are most likely to know me (and help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I apologize for any inconvenience.

Later,
Che

--------------------------------

<font color="blue"> Playing WSOP sats on stars? Playing WSOP prelim events? </font>

Don't pay full price!

Buy W$ from me for 90 cents per W$. PM me if interested.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: travel info for WSOP (mostly off-topic)

As a kid, I remember staying at Circus Circus several times and absolutely loving it. They have a... what do you call it.... well, it is like a fair almost. They have a bunch of games like, put a ring on the bottle, or shoot 3 baskets, win a monkey. I loved it. I also believe that it was pretty cheap too, but don't quote me on that. I think that Circus Circus is designed around the idea of families coming to LV. Check it out.

CSC
Old 05-20-2005, 12:34 PM

Most hotels are kid-friendly but a couple cater toward kids including Circus Circus and Excalibur. I'm not sure where you live but America West often has good air/hotel packages available on their website.

On another note, I wish I knew you were selling W$ before I bought mine from someone else!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 12:51 PM

Congrats on the Triple Shootout win.

Had a feeling you were in the drives seat at that final table. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hotrod
Old 05-20-2005, 01:43 PM

So this means you wont be getting drunk at the strip club with me Che? Anyone else want in?
~Justin
Old 05-20-2005, 02:02 PM

Southwest Airlines also has really great vacation packages, which combine airfare, hotel, rental cars, and you can purchase tickets to shows and stuff.

I think another good kid-friendly hotel would be Treasure Island, which is pretty close to the Rio. The Cirque du Soleil show Mystere at Treasure Island was awsome.

Have fun at the WSOP!
Old 05-20-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a kid, I remember staying at Circus Circus several times and absolutely loving it. They have a... what do you call it.... well, it is like a fair almost. They have a bunch of games like, put a ring on the bottle, or shoot 3 baskets, win a monkey. I loved it. I also believe that it was pretty cheap too, but don't quote me on that. I think that Circus Circus is designed around the idea of families coming to LV. Check it out.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not flaming or being rude, but....Circus Circus is a COMPLETE AND UTTER DUMP. Do not stay there. Please. It is full of teen tours and the lowest of low-budget travelers.

I realize that my post is not particularly helpful, in that I can't recommend a kid-friendly hotel, mainly bc I don't have kids, but I would not stay at Circus Circus.

I don't know what your budget is, but I would stay at a hotel with a good pool. Anything else you can visit, i.e. amusement park in a hotel, rides, good toy stores, good shows, etc. To go to a hotel pool with no addt'l charge, you need to be staying at the hotel.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:35 PM

I would recommend spending a few minutes checking out the websites for some of the hotels you are interested in. A lot of them have virtual tours showing pool areas and info on non-gaming activities. It is definitely worth checking out which ones have nicer pools since you are taking your family. Excalibur has a pool that is pretty run of the mill while Mirage has one that looks like a lagoon with palm trees, a large waterfall and a slide along with kiddie pools. Of course Mirage is more expensive than Excalibur. Hope that helps!
Old 05-20-2005, 02:54 PM

I would say Circus Circus and Excalibur - but I've never stayed at CC so it could be a dump for all I know.

Excalibur was fine though.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:50 PM

freekobe-

[ QUOTE ]

I am not flaming or being rude, but....Circus Circus is a COMPLETE AND UTTER DUMP. Do not stay there. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit that I had almost made up my mind to stay at CC given that several posters have recommended it. Would you mind giving an example of a hotel that you think is not a dump so that I could get a better understanding of your relative valuation? An adult-only hotel is fine - I just need something to compare.

I'm not trying to be rude, either, but it sounds like your idea of nice may be several levels above what this Arkansas boy considers nice. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks to all who have replied so far!

Che

--------------------------------

<font color="blue"> Playing WSOP sats on PokerStars? Playing WSOP prelim events? </font>

Don't pay full price!

Buy W$ from me for 90 cents per W$. PM me if interested.