Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Need Help Buying A Bed

The advice so far in this thread is generally good. One point that hasn't been mentioned - I'd recommend not buying a "pillow-top" mattress. Just get a regular one and a mattress pad. The pillow-top/mattress pad both gradually get less comfortable, but you can replace a mattress pad.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:48 AM

Tempurpedic will solve all of your sleep problems but will leave you the new problem of being broke.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 AM

My bro bought a bed, not the mattress but the bed, on overstock.com. Greta price, decent product. Spend your dough on the mattress and box spring.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The advice so far in this thread is generally good. One point that hasn't been mentioned - I'd recommend not buying a "pillow-top" mattress. Just get a regular one and a mattress pad. The pillow-top/mattress pad both gradually get less comfortable, but you can replace a mattress pad.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bed has a pillow top mattres and is as comfortable today as it was the day I got it 3 years ago. Honestly, I think that my bed is my favorite posession. It has made my life better (I had sleeping problems and was often tired during the day, I now sleep like a baby...)

I have slept on standard mattreses with a feather bed (and have also tried an egg crate foam mattres pad) on top and it is NOT the same.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:59 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Im looking for a new bed myself. My bed will be taking up most of my room. Damn, Im gonna love it.

[ QUOTE ]
1)Obviously prices are going to be different depending on where you live but what's a ballpark figure I should anticipate to spend? I want a headboard but not a footboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a nice one, it might be $400+. Real wood will cost extra. Check online. that can give you some ideas. There's many sites.

[ QUOTE ]
3)Is it okay to go to a cheap place like a discount store or should I fork up the money and stick with a major chain brand name?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the store. This likely won't be your last bed you buy. If you just want a cheapee, but looks cool, buy one and throw a good mattress on it. The mattress is what will be costing you a bit.

Some places have a return policy for mattresses after you had them for a week or so. Plenty of time to know if the mattress works for you.

b
Old 05-20-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tempurpedic will solve all of your sleep problems but will leave you the new problem of being broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does Tempurpedic compare with some of those other high tech/Sweedish style beds such as the Duxbed?

~ Rick

PS Also, are these high tech beds good for bada bing, bada bang, bada boom? I'd think you would sink in a bit when you would rather not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want a headboard but not a footboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get a headboard, spend about $500 and get a decent wrought iron or polished steel frame set with lots of places to grab (during you know what [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Avoid brass, because it shows fingerprints.

Such a frame set might come with a frame for the foot of the bed, but as long as it doesn't extend up too far it won't get in the way.

~ Rick
Old 05-20-2005, 06:52 AM

Those are really uncomfortable to sit up against. A headboard or just a plain wall is more comfy by far.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:07 AM

I pity you all for having to sleep in American beds. They are all just crap (like American washing machines).

You'll spend about 1/3 rd of your life in a bed, so invest heavily!

A bed should not contain any metal (no screws, no springs, etc.).

A nice and good wooden frame 2 meters x 2 meters will cost you +1000 bucks.

You'll need 2 adjustable rosts for about $100 each.

You'll need 2 mattrasses for at least $500 each (latex + horse hair and/or coconut fibre + cotton cover) is very nice. Why 2 mattresses instead of one? Well, you have to turn arond those heavy suckers at least every 4 weeks.

I say you'll need at least $2500 for a decent bed. There is no way around it.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have serious sleep issues and I'm convinced it's because I'm not comfortable when I sleep.

Is it okay to go to a cheap place like a discount store or should I fork up the money and stick with a major chain brand name?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you already answered your own question.