Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Why most good players never suceed!

As some of you know I have been on quite a tear as of recent. 3 final tables, 3 top 20 finishes and an assorted amount of ITM finishes in the last few weeks in the partypoker supers and 915 pm $109 multitable tourney. I have yet to win a big tourney yet, but I have made huge strides recently. My bankroll is in the best shape its been in ever.

The one major change I have made to my game is very simple. I know I will get alot of slack for this, but here it is. I play to make the money. What I mean by this is that I play super Weak-tight around the bubble if I have a medium stack. I know that all the big name players advocate stealing like crazy at the bubble time, but all that strategy ever did for me was to piss away my chips. Im a firm believer that once in the money you can make moves and Usually one double up will put you right back into contention. Around the bubble with an average to slight below stack im only playing the premium hands.

Of course, if you have been hitting cards and winning big pots to give you a big stack, then stealing blinds at the bubble is a must. Use the big stack to your advantage.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Why most good players never suceed!

congrats on winning the important coin flips.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:39 PM

Just a thought.

Which scenario would have made more money
3 FTs
3 T20s
5 ITMs

or 1 win? or 2 top 3?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that all the big name players advocate stealing like crazy at the bubble time, but all that strategy ever did for me was to piss away my chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this theory that you should steal around bubble time works a lot better when your stack is more than 10 BBs and you can afford to make a couple slip ups and still be alright. Online if you start to get aggresive around the bubble there certainly is potential to pick up some blinds but there is also plenty of potential for one to bust because the stacks arent deep enough. Does what I just wrote even make sense? I just think most big live tournaments will usually have deeper stacks around bubble time and allow of someone to bully more. Online the average stack is not so deep around bubble time and one or two plays where you decide to bully people can almost put you out of the tournament.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know that all the big name players advocate stealing like crazy at the bubble time, but all that strategy ever did for me was to piss away my chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this theory that you should steal around bubble time works a lot better when your stack is more than 10 BBs and you can afford to make a couple slip ups and still be alright. Online if you start to get aggresive around the bubble there certainly is potential to pick up some blinds but there is also plenty of potential for one to bust because the stacks arent deep enough. Does what I just wrote even make sense? I just think most big live tournaments will usually have deeper stacks around bubble time and allow of someone to bully more. Online the average stack is not so deep around bubble time and one or two plays where you decide to bully people can almost put you out of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're rationale is exactly why it is more correct to steal around the bubble. Shallow stacks make unrelenting aggression more correct, especially given the opponents propensity to fold all but premium hands.

One has to still be aware of the table dynamics, but in general, aggressive bubble play is optimal.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:06 PM

Very true. It takes a lot more gamble when the stacks become smaller in relation to the blinds though and it seems this aggresion is pretty much open-pushing and risking your entire tournament if one of these tight bubble players actually wakes up with a real hand. I was trying to say in my other post that this aggresive stealing style would work a lot better if the stacks are deeper because there is a lot more to gain and less to risk. To your point it can be even more effective when the stacks are shorter but it is also much more risky. I think your logic is very accurate but it takes a lot of gambool!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:13 PM

FE is magnified on the bubble, especially against small stacks (but not always the smallest stack who needs to act before he blinds out). Good players take advantage of their added FE here and ramp up their stacks during this period.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very true. It takes a lot more gamble when the stacks become smaller in relation to the blinds though and it seems this aggresion is pretty much open-pushing and risking your entire tournament if one of these tight bubble players actually wakes up with a real hand. I was trying to say in my other post that this aggresive stealing style would work a lot better if the stacks are deeper because there is a lot more to gain and less to risk. To your point it can be even more effective when the stacks are shorter but it is also much more risky. I think your logic is very accurate but it takes a lot of gambool!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, which is why i had the caveat of knowing the table dynamics. What i really mean by that is knowing how the table is reacting to in position openraises and how that affects how tight their range of calling hands is. Also, there's a big difference in the range of calling hands if you have raised 3 hands in a row vs. if you have just given a walk to the BB.

It all really boild down to FE. You have a ton of FE on the bubble relative to the amount that players should be calling. They are making a mistake, and by definition, that means you are making a good decision. You have to get away from the fear of busting on the bubble. It's irrational.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Lets say: Hero has T4500 in MP. blinds are 400/800. 84 players left, TOP 80 pay. Folded to Hero in MP with AQ suited. All players behind have me covered easily. Folding here is +EV. No?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to get away from the fear of busting on the bubble. It's irrational.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to remember, though, is that Party has an idiotic payout structure that has a much higher marginal return for the people who barely make the money. You'll see payout structures that look like this:

81-90: $300
71-80: $370
61-70: $450
51-60: $540

etc.

Thus, barely moneying is a much larger increase than you see again until you make the final table, meaning DW's take on it has more merit.